Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy and I did the weld on frame repair thing to my K5 and grooved my 42's today. We made clips of both. We almost died while doing the tires....My "Do not do this at home" commentary at the beginning of the grooving clip, is no joke. When I lit the torch, I just turned on the propane valve and used the propane heater to light it. (Don't try that- stoooopid) What I didn't know was that it blew out the flame at the heating element and left a small flame burning in the the tubes behind the heating element, by the time I was done preheating the tire, it was red hot back there..:eek: Lesson learned. We got lucky that it didn't blow up. Watch the video and you'll figure it out. Since it was super cold outside and the tires were really hard, we used the propane blow torch to heat them up so they'd be easier to groove. Both clips are pretty big downloads- the frame repair one is 80+ MB and the tire grooving one is 40+ mb.

Weld on frame repair.

I know this isn't really super technical, so if it needs to be moved to the n00b section, so be it. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
I like how you did the side lug. That's what I thought of doing, even though I've never grooved a tire before. Lot of work to shorten the lifespan of your tire :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
i lke the groovin, i think i might try somethin similar whenever i get around to trimmin on my 38s. Any reason you just stitch welded the brace on?

Whats the deal with the wheelin tid-bit at the end of the clip? where's more of that? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
IMO that's one of the best ways to groove the outer lugs on a Swamper. My SXs are holding up well wiht that style of cut, the corners of the lugs are rounded off from rocks, but the tread isn't very prone to chunking off:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
SlamChops said:
i lke the groovin, i think i might try somethin similar whenever i get around to trimmin on my 38s. Any reason you just stitch welded the brace on?

Whats the deal with the wheelin tid-bit at the end of the clip? where's more of that? :flipoff2:
That one second clip you saw at the end was my truck:D

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SlamChops said:

Stich welded for a couple reasons. One, if it was welded all the way around, it would weaken the frame. Two, the little instruction sheet that came in the box with the brace said to do it that way. :flipoff2: :D

I can get you a link to the vids of Willyswanters truck if ya want. ;)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Heres the vid I had from Hollister... No power steering (burnt pump) made for not much fun... And the video got all squished, it's square 480x480 instead of 640x480 like it's supposed to be but whatever...

Hollister 11/30/03

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
And in my defence it was raining on us for the last few hours and I couldn't for the life of me get the tire to stick to that rock and climb it:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
willyswanter said:
And in my defence it was raining on us for the last few hours and I couldn't for the life of me get the tire to stick to that rock and climb it:flipoff2:
I'm thinking it was the absence of a locker up front and the lack of power steering that were major contributors to the non crawling of that rock.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
KidJethro said:

Stich welded for a couple reasons. One, if it was welded all the way around, it would weaken the frame. Two, the little instruction sheet that came in the box with the brace said to do it that way. :flipoff2: :D

thats a good point. didnt really think about it right off the bat. :flipoff2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts