Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the posts I got from the search I did, I've decided to go for 36x12.5x15 SX and groove them to the "#3" tread type pictures in most polls (anyone else confused :rolleyes: ?)

Anyways, I'll be ordering the grooving iron for ~50$ with a nice selection of blades and go at it once I get the 5 tires.

One question pertains:
How much will the tire diameter increase after grooving?

I read in certain posts that this usually occurs, which is logical, since the carcass gets a wee bit "liberated" to expand somewhat, but does that apply to even smallish sizes as the 36"ers, or only for 40"+?

I'll be fitting them onto a Land Rover Discovery, and run some Challenges that do not allow for anything above 36.5" tall tires...

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, Which blades do you recommend I use for the grooving? Should I buy spare heads, or only the blade generally breaks?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I went through 1.5 blades on all for of my 36" SX's. I used the 1/4" wide cuts. worked fine

not sure why the diameter would change at all. you're not cutting all the way through the tire. only the lug.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mudlite...

Seeing that English is my 3rd language, and I was translating that quote from German (my 4th language), Its good enough I have one mistake...:D

I'll be going for the 1/4 inch, and I'll get several sizes as well, should I wish to be creative a bit.

IS there no way the diameter will increase? Will the SXs flex much better and perform much better?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts