·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
WHY? :confused:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Might want to change that to read "BFG MT's." Many people use the one AFCO racing sells for about $50 plus blades with good results. Hard to groove a tire with one in cold weather. There are other models with price ranges of about $350-$400 that are much faster, but will do the same job. Basically, how much is your time worth? You will probably have to do it in the summer in CO though. Hard to groove a tire when it is 30* outside and snowing. You can search and get much better info. I am sure there is a Discount Tire Co in Westminister that could sipe them for about $10. Lance posted a tech article about this a few months ago.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I have a 4.5in Milwaukee angle grinder that works wonders on Hummer surplus Goodyears, also lessens the misquito population in my neighborhood :flipoff2:

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
Afco number five blade......

Attachments

·
5,729 Posts
I have!!

That was my first garage test...I passed, did all four (w/ a little help). Cold weather does not help:( . Let the blade heat up for best results;) .

The hubby say's his groover is a cheap one. I don't know....it worked for me, but then again, I don't know any better:D

Good Luck!!

Jen

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I don't see where everyone is worried about the cold. I grooved my SX's with the AFCO when my tires were about 45-50*. Just put them in your garage and put a heater next to them if you are that worried. It took me about 45 mins. a tire to draw the pattern and cut them out. I used the #5 blade and only had to change it once because I hit a hidden nail and broke a blade, otherwise I could've done them all with 1. Oh yeah, I don't have popeye forearms either.

Easy

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got my groover from http://www.randys-racemart.com/tirgroovir.html. Only used 2 to groove my swampers, would have only taken 1, but the tires had some sand imbedded in them that dulled the blades quicker.

Search, there's lots of threads on grooving, several with this exact groover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts