Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is a newbie question - When rock crawling what tire preshure should I run to not break parts ? My rig is set up for low traction type wheeling (snow) but when I go to moab with the club I will be breaking parts. If my drive train holdes together I will have no problem.

So should I go with the theory that High Pressure will give less traction and therefore break less stuff?

Or should I go low pressure. making it easier to overcome obsticles and allow my sidewalls give and cushion my drivetrain?

Truck specs:

4500lb toy/k5 hybrid
1225 RTI
ORD doubler - manual 4sp
SB 350
44"TSLs
ARB + 4.56 front & rear
1/2 ton full width axles (witch are my problem)

Thanks for any input/recomindations
ROB

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The lower you go the better traction you will get. I know you know this. I would play with it when you get down there. Remeber to aviod wedging your tires or you will be out of axles fast. Unfortunately I think you will find out why everyone needs 60s in the rocks:( with big tires.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Just be careful on the throttle. Light throttle, no big pedal to the metal flys up the hills. Also, try to avoid pushing the steering where it doesent want to go. Holding your tire against something when it doesent want to move doesent help... and sometimes causes breakage (i have broken steering this way.. and if i was locked up front, probabally more. Also leave the arb's off except when really needed... expecally in the front.

Garrett

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I can get my old set of 36"ers on rims in one piece and holding air I will probubly take them (I think there are also a set of 35's out back).

The guys think I will be fine with the 44"ers if I am carefull but I realy want to wheel some harder trails (upper Hell) and think the 44"ers will break axles to quickly (I have alot of extras).

Do the bigger tires realy give you and advantage on slickrock?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts