1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
wow thats scary! I have had to cut lug nuts off of logging trucks to get wheels off and never thought of that or heard of it. I would never imagine welding on a wheel with a tire on it thats just crazy!!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for posting that. Tires have always scared the shit out of me. Even more now.:laughing:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
So moral of the story ... don't heat pressure vessels without relieving the pressure ... I do't know, that always just seemed obvious to me.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I know someone who did this he was welding a cracked lug hole on a wheel while charged and when it blew up it threw him 30 feet and broke his back.

This should be a sticky on the home page.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I was at work one day(concrete truck driver) and the Concrete pump opperator wasnt paying attention to his boom and layed the bastard against a high voltage line and blew out all 10 tires. Makes a hellova bang when you blow a big rig tire.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that I've had a chance to think about it, I think I may have seen an example of this before...
When I was a kid riding in the car one day I remember seeing a trucker pulled over checking his tires. He was bouncing a hammer off of them I guess checking for proper inflation. As we passed by, he hit one that exploded and blew him across the highway...

In aircraft tires there are fuse plugs, often more than one, that if the heat gets to a certain threshold they melt allowing a large orifice for air to escape. The other thing that is done to mitigate this problem is 100% dry nitrogen used to inflate them. This keeps oxygen out of the chemical reaction. They still explode from time to time though.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
So moral of the story ... don't heat pressure vessels without relieving the pressure ... I do't know, that always just seemed obvious to me.

J. J.
Apparently you didn't bother to watch or listen to him talking about someone who got KILLED after welding on a wheel where they had even unseated the bead of the tire.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
holy shit...thx 4 the posting of this

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
:eek:
I guess that Ive been lucky. Twice I've applied heat to wheels while mounted. Definetly not going to do that again.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts