Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an 82 cj7. Running a cucv dana 60 and a 14 bolt. Jeep is currently in build process. I used stock yj leafs and i will be running tube fenders on front and cuttin rear of tub. Has a 2" body lift also... I plan on purchasing a set of 16.5 recentered wheels with rigs from trail worthy fab. I also planning on purchasing pitbull tires. Are 42's way over kill? If so what is a good size tire to run. Any assistance would be helpfull....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I currently have an 82 cj7. Running a cucv dana 60 and a 14 bolt. Jeep is currently in build process. I used stock yj leafs and i will be running tube fenders on front and cuttin rear of tub. Has a 2" body lift also... I plan on purchasing a set of 16.5 recentered wheels with rigs from trail worthy fab. I also planning on purchasing pitbull tires. Are 42's way over kill? If so what is a good size tire to run. Any assistance would be helpfull....
!. What's your mission, trails, rocks, mud, mall?

2. What gear ratio are you running in your axles?

3. Hope you know that 42's and big axles are not kind to leaf springs, especially stock yj's.

Good luck with the build, have fun, and post pictures.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
!. What's your mission, trails, rocks, mud, mall?

2. What gear ratio are you running in your axles?

3. Hope you know that 42's and big axles are not kind to leaf springs, especially stock yj's.

Good luck with the build, have fun, and post pictures.
TRAILS, ROCKS, AND SOME MUD IS MY MISSION.... NO MALL SHOPPIN. IM RUNNING 4:56 IS ALL cucv axles... I would love to link it but simply dont have the money so the leaf springs will have to do for now. Hope this helps. Haha lookin for answers i guess. Have someone that has 38.5's pit bull rockers at a pretty good price so this is why im asking.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts

·
HARDliner
2,110 Posts
TRAILS, ROCKS, AND SOME MUD IS MY MISSION.... NO MALL SHOPPIN. IM RUNNING 4:56 IS ALL cucv axles... I would love to link it but simply dont have the money so the leaf springs will have to do for now. Hope this helps. Haha lookin for answers i guess. Have someone that has 38.5's pit bull rockers at a pretty good price so this is why im asking.
If money is an issue and you are going to stick with the leafs for a while, I would go with the 38.5" Rockers your friend has. The point made earlier about 42 and beefy axles not being leaf friendly is very true in the rocks. Different on a mud truck that just floors it in one direction...but flexing over and over is another story. I have personally owned the Rockers and loved the grip. I had an issue losing the inner bead when I went lower than 8psi. The sidewall is fairly stiff and when I had very low pressure it would burp on a sidehill and I would lose the bead entirely.

Also, if you are using an older (pre 1980) D60, then 42 is too much tire with stock 1.3" D60 axle shafts. A friend of mine snapped his backing up a hill trying to pull me out. He was running an older D60 front and 42s. Upgrade the shafts if that is what you are running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts