Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out a tire size gear ratio combination that would work. I currently have 31" tires with 4.10 gearing. I want to upgrade tire sizes to 35 and I hear that 5.29 are best. 33 and 4.88 work togeather but how about 33" and 5.29 or 35 and 4.88. What would happen to gas milage and performance with these two setups. The deal is that I am going to use the truck as a daily driver and 35" tread is going to kill on gas so if I can swap between 33 and 35 I woould be happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
If you have Excel, check out the gear ratio calculator in the 4Wheeling section of my site.

Mark
 

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,738 Posts
Originally posted by pmurf1:
<STRONG>5.29's are what you want, doesn't matter if you have a 4 or 6 cyl.</STRONG>
I run 4:88 and 35's and it works fine, 4:88s are stronger then 5:29's. I havea V-6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Not knowing what you have for a motor I would say stick with the 4.88's. 5.29's on the freeway with 33's Is killer at like 65 my motor is humming big time. 4.88's should be great they will be perfect if you have fuel inj. or a v-6. And they are stronger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Originally posted by toy flpr7:
<STRONG> 5.29's on the freeway with 33's Is killer at like 65 my motor is humming big time. 4.88's should be great </STRONG>
Is this with a 5 Speed?

I've heard people say 4:88's hardly make a difference in an Auto, so would the 5:29s be better for an Auto? Anybody got this setup?


<IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,996 Posts
<font color="yellow">
I'm going to assume you have a 4 Cylinder truck with a 5-Spd...
These tire & gear combinations restore your truck to stock engine speeds:
  • 29" tire = 4.10 R&P
  • 33" tire = 4.88 R&P
  • 35" tire = 5.29 R&P

Running a higher gear (like 4.10s with 33s) sucks. I have 33x12.50 MT/Rs and the factory 4.10s right now and STRONGLY advise against doing this. So strongly, in fact, that I have a solid axle out back as I type this, and am instead using the money budgeted for the swap to put 5.29s and a detroit in my rear axle. I just can't stand driving my rig on the street like this anymore. I'd rather be unable to use 4WD in anything but mud (leaving an open 4.10 in front until the SAS) than drive it any longer than nsecessary like this.

Putting low gears like 5.29s in with 33s will result in excellent power & acceleration, but it will rev very high on the highway and get poor gas mileage. I plan on going to 35s soon after the axle swap, so that's not a big factor to me.

On the other hand, using a gear that's too high, such as a 4.10 with 33s, sucks. A lot. Theorectically it gives you better gas mileage and a higher top speed because the engine's going slower on the highway, but the 22RE is marginal when it comes to pushing big tires with tall gears.

Also, you have to remember that a truck with 33s and 4.88s will get poorer gas mileage than a truck with 4.10s and stock tires - even though the engine is turning the same speed. You have to remember that 4 inches of tire, and a truck 4 inches higher has more drag, the tires are harder to turn because they're havier (if you run bis plies like swampers, a LOT heavier) and wider tired cause even more drag.

If you want to see exactly how you're different tire & gear combinations affect engine speed and such, go to 4LO.com and use the 'gear calc' at the top of the page.</font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Go w/ 5.29.

You know that you'll end up w/ bigger tires sooner or later. When I got my 35s, my first thought was, "I could have gone bigger".

My 35s w/ 5.29s seem to be a good combo. RPMs on the freeway are good.

Before I decided, I was concerned just like you. Do a search in this Toyota section and you'll find a lot of info like I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
just curious, what rpm would you be running at 70 mph with 5.29's, 35's and a four cyclinder in fifth gear? i know its a little under 3,000rpm with 4.10's and 31's. <IMG SRC="smilies/question.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Originally posted by David Otto Fritzsche AKA OOPS:
<STRONG>
Originally posted by pmurf1:
[qb]5.29's are what you want, doesn't matter if you have a 4 or 6 cyl.</STRONG>
I run 4:88 and 35's and it works fine, 4:88s are stronger then 5:29's. I havea V-6.[/QB]
*********************************************
Why and how are 5:29's stronger than 4:88???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
Originally posted by RCRunner:
<STRONG>
Originally posted by David Otto Fritzsche AKA OOPS:
[qb]
Originally posted by pmurf1:
[qb]5.29's are what you want, doesn't matter if you have a 4 or 6 cyl.</STRONG>
I run 4:88 and 35's and it works fine, 4:88s are stronger then 5:29's. I havea V-6.[/QB]
*********************************************
Why and how are 5:29's stronger than 4:88???[/QB]
the pinion gear has more teeth and therefore is larger which makes it stronger. V6 gears are larger in this area. I'd go 5:29's especially with all the big ass hills around here.

<IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/pissed.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Originally posted by Clifton:
<STRONG>I had 5.29's with 33"s and V6. I had no regrets. Try this http://www.cosports.com/fwhldr/equipcalc.htm</STRONG>
*****************************************
Clifton,
how's your gas milage on long trips??? Are your RPM's up there??? Just curious, cuz I have a V6 with 33's with stock gears(not my daily driver though, it's under construction at the moment)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Here's the math, assuming the tires are actually their rated sizes and that 5th gear is 0.838 (V6 tranny). The latter assumption may be true for you, though the former is almost certainly false. I've used the rated sizes anyway, for comparison.

29"@4.10 = 25.1mph/1000rpm
33"@4.10 = 28.6mph/1000rpm
33"@4.88 = 24.0mph/1000rpm
33"@5.29 = 22.1mph/1000rpm
35"@4.88 = 25.5mph/1000rpm
35"@5.29 = 23.5mph/1000rpm

As you can see, 4.88's and 35's are closer to stock than any other combination, if you assume "stock" is a 29" tire and 4.10 gearing. This matches my personal experience, as my stock speedometer is as close to dead accurate as I can measure, and I've got the 4.88/35 combination.

Hope this helps,

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,382 Posts
My truck is an 85 Runner, 22re 5 spd, 38" SX's. I spin just under 3k at 65 on the highway. That's about as fast as I want to go spinning all that meat with stock brakes. I usually don't use 5th gear on the highways, I can, but need to down shift at any hill. I just keep it in 4th and let it spin. Toy motors like to spin 3k and above, why lug them down below 2500 with insufficient gearing is the way I look at it.
If I owned an automatic, 4 cyl or V6, I wouldn't get anything less than 5.29's with 33's or bigger. That's just my experience(and a lot of other guys who run them). I ran 31's with the 5.29s for a month or so, and the Runner was actually damn peppy for a 4 popper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,152 Posts
Originally posted by ScaldedDog:
<STRONG>
29"@4.10 = 25.1mph/1000rpm
33"@4.10 = 28.6mph/1000rpm
33"@4.88 = 24.0mph/1000rpm
33"@5.29 = 22.1mph/1000rpm
35"@4.88 = 25.5mph/1000rpm
35"@5.29 = 23.5mph/1000rpm

As you can see, 4.88's and 35's are closer to stock than any other combination, if you assume "stock" is a 29" tire and 4.10 gearing.</STRONG>
Actually, the 35"@4.88 is closer to stock according to your chart...
But that's because stock was 28 inches, not 29 inches. So, your chart should have a [email protected]=24.0 or something close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Originally posted by ScaldedDog:
<STRONG>Here's the math, assuming the tires are actually their rated sizes and that 5th gear is 0.838 (V6 tranny). The latter assumption may be true for you, though the former is almost certainly false. I've used the rated sizes anyway, for comparison.

29"@4.10 = 25.1mph/1000rpm
33"@4.10 = 28.6mph/1000rpm
33"@4.88 = 24.0mph/1000rpm
33"@5.29 = 22.1mph/1000rpm
35"@4.88 = 25.5mph/1000rpm
35"@5.29 = 23.5mph/1000rpm

As you can see, 4.88's and 35's are closer to stock than any other combination, if you assume "stock" is a 29" tire and 4.10 gearing. This matches my personal experience, as my stock speedometer is as close to dead accurate as I can measure, and I've got the 4.88/35 combination.

Hope this helps,

Mark</STRONG>
******************************************
Would your chart be true for a AUTOMATIC V6 89 Runner???
Anybody else running 35" or 33" w/4:88's on their automatic V6 ??? <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Originally posted by RCRunner:
<STRONG>Would your chart be true for a AUTOMATIC V6 89 Runner???</STRONG>
I don't know the ratios for the automatics - my calculations are for the V6 5 speed.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,152 Posts
Originally posted by RCRunner:
<STRONG>******************************************
Would your chart be true for a AUTOMATIC V6 89 Runner???
Anybody else running 35" or 33" w/4:88's on their automatic V6 ??? <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
I will be once the gears go in. However, it appears that my auto V6 4runner came with 4.10s stock...don't know why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Originally posted by Pazuzu:
[QB]I will be once the gears go in. However, it appears that my auto V6 4runner came with 4.10s stock...don't know why

My 88 V6 auto runner has 4:10's as well(stock listing on firewall). I believe the 4:30's pertain to the 4cyl engines with autos. The overdrive on a yota auto is .70 instead of .85 of the 5spd(5th gear), so that's a much greater overdrive gear. That said, 5:29's in an auto equipped rig will run at lower rpm's than that of a 5spd. Approx 15% difference in overdrive with the auto. compared to 5th gear of a 5spd.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top