Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of the best way to fix my tires, short of replacing them.

I'm thinking stitching, a boot, and then run a tube, and putting the damaged sidewalls in in the rear and on the inside.

I know what stitching and a boot will do, but what about running a tube?
The rims are beadlock on the outside and are tube style rims. I will be running 12 pounds of air and they are Irok Radials

Any thoughts, experience, comments will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
take em in and have em vulcanized. ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
ive had mixed results with stitching and booting, ive heard alot of good stuff about vulcanizing tho, might check and see if there is anyone local to you that does it. id say its your best bet.

kolby

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
rockmup said:
I'm no help but what happed ? Any close up's?
Both front tires lost their sidewalls on the first trip they made... Id be an unhappy individual if they were mine...

Another vote for vulcanizing. Id also tube them just to be on the safe side. :)

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
sceep said:
take em in and have em vulcanized. ;)

I can’t find a shop that will do any kind of repair on a sidewall because of liability. I have a nearly brand new MTR with a similar gash and have called nearly every tire repair/retread shop within 100 miles.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Find a big truck tire shop and let them know its the spare tire for your offroad rig. They 'll do it. ;)

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
What you nead is a "section repair" This is the industry term for a significant injury to the tire. The best places would be ones that repair ag or industrial tires It is unlikely that Discount or National will have the tools or experience to do the job correctly.
An alternative would be a retread shop, Bandag Michelin Hawkins Hercules are names in this field and the fact that I have not mentioned Goodyear is not an omission on my part. With very few exceptions the people who do these types of repairs have been trained by Michelin. Personal experience is statistically irrellevant but the Michelin techs I dealt with in my past life were head and shoulders above the others.

HTH but YMMV

BTW... INDUSTRIAL TIRE SERVICE INC
423 PUYALLUP AVE TACOMA, WA 98421
(253) 383-1645

They sound right but I don't know a thing about them.

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
I'd like a close-up picture of the area, but it looks to me like a cut along the same lines as the BL ring, IE, a pinch...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mutt said:
I'd like a close-up picture of the area, but it looks to me like a cut along the same lines as the BL ring, IE, a pinch...
Yes it's a beadlock pinch alright. I'll tear them off tomorrow and take detailed pics

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Just an additional thought, usually if it is within 2" of the bead itself it is non-repairable. Otherwise a number 22 patch should do the trick.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
running two torn, stitched (well, were stitched) patched and tube 42 TSL's

here's a four finger'er :eek:

The stitching wears off rather fast and be sure to put the slash to the inside. I didn't do that on one of them, the boot is still holding up but the slash is about an inch wide now.

but I still run this tire even after doing shit like this to it :laughing: :flipoff2: the tube blew while in tank trap :D

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Danger Ranger said:

The stitching wears off rather fast and be sure to put the slash to the inside. I didn't do that on one of them, the boot is still holding up but the slash is about an inch wide now.

QUOTE]

Is a boot and stitching all that was needed to fix that tear? Did you run a tube or not?

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
briejer said:
Danger Ranger said:

QUOTE]

Is a boot and stitching all that was needed to fix that tear? Did you run a tube or not?
I tried the stitch and boot method once... I made it 1.5 trips before the boot let go. So, I just re-booted it and put a tube in it... been that way for a year now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts