Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1" vertical cut in the sidewall of a 40" MTR. I would like to get it patched and vulcanized. I might end up running a tube in it in addition to the fix depending on how well they can fix it. Anybody know a good place that can actually repair that?

·
Registered
660 Posts
A local tire shop fixes mine, all he does is cold patch with what he calles a boot, it is a patch with woven strans in it, they dont like to do it because it is not legal for the street, but my wheels are so beat up its obviously off road only

bob

ew4c

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont like to do it because it is not legal for the street
ew4c
I am finding this to be true everywhere I call. I have decided to fix it myself. In my research I have found that you have to get a corded patch. They are listed as radial patches. It gets vulcanized to the tire. There are hot and cold chemical ways to vulcanize tires. I will be getting the cold chemical vulcanize stuff.

Before the patch can be applied to the "injury" (cut, hole, etc) it needs to be filled with a rubber compound. I found some "A and B compound" that does just this. When you combine the two it makes a puddy that will fill the void of the cut. This cures at room temp. Apparently when you do this and put a radial patch on it makes a lasting fix. I am getting the stuff and will try it out. Its going to cost me $150 or more but if it works it will pay in the long run. This gets me 100 patches and enough chemicals to do this for a while.

I am getting stuff from www.patchboy.com. I have found that a lot of places wont ship this stuff. This is one place that does.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I am getting:

14-438 A&B Rubber Repair Compound, 1 lb of each
14-102 Buffing Solution – Rubber Prep 16 oz. Aerosol Non-Flammable
14-128A 16 oz. (472ml) Inner Liner Sealer, Non-Flammable
14-314 3/16" x 1 1/2" Wood Handle Ball Bearing Stitcher
PA-009 Rectangular Cord-Reinforced Radial Repair - 3" x 1-3/4", 100 Patches
14-032 1 quart XtraSeal Brand 32 oz. (945ml) Vulcanizing Cement, Flammable - Brush in Top
14-339 Back-to-Back 2-1/2" carbide buffing wheels

I am not totally sure about the patch sizes. I might get them somewhere else. I still need to research those.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I had a big rig tire shop mount some used 40's, one happened to have some sidewall holes. They recommended that I call TCI in Fontana to get the tire "sectioned" which is the term for a sidewall repair. I haven't contacted them yet but I still have my tire.

I'd like to see how the stuff from patchboy works!

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Following up on my tire repair. Daryl Smith could but wouldn't repair my tire because its a DOT tire, also he has only ever used the heat activated vulcanizing process and not familar with the product you are using. Could I get the name, address and phone number, Daryl and I are interested in this process.
In the mean time I found out that a retreading company can repair my tire for as little as $45. I'm going to go this route. I'll let you know what happens. :D

·
Registered
833 Posts
just got section repair from Petes road service 37 bucks can hardly tell it was done
Called Petes today, they couldn't help me with my sidewall gash. The told me that "nothing" that they have would work on my sidewall. Did yours hold up? If so, what procedure did they use or which location did you use? I called the Fullerton location. The guy was cool, just couldn't help...

BUMP, anybody else have any advise?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I had a big rig tire shop mount some used 40's, one happened to have some sidewall holes. They recommended that I call TCI in Fontana to get the tire "sectioned" which is the term for a sidewall repair. I haven't contacted them yet but I still have my tire.

I'd like to see how the stuff from patchboy works!
Kevin, I went ahead an brought my tire to TCI in Fontana. I told them it was a Offroad tire. They repaired the sidewall hole and plugged two holes in the tread. The sidewall repair wasn't as smooth as I thought it would be. It was a little concaved, so I mounted the tire with the repaired sidewall on the inside. When they plugged the holes in the tread they shaved off the tread about 1" diameter from the plug, I didn't like that. My $40 repair included dismounting the tire off the wheel and remounting

You can call them at (909) 429-6876 if your interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try ParkHouse Tire in Fontana. Dont remember if the cap shop is there or Bell Gardens. If you say its for off-road use only they might do it.

·
HOG JOCKEY
1,423 Posts
Try ParkHouse Tire in Fontana. Dont remember if the cap shop is there or Bell Gardens. If you say its for off-road use only they might do it.
last year i had parkhouse in fontana do a maxxis creepy crawler red label 40 inch tire with a 2 inch gash in the sidewall. you just need to make them know that it is for offroad only!!! they did a great job of repairing, from the outside, couldn't tell where the repair was. i think the guys name was jose.....he told me to send all my friends and he would take care of them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts