Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions needed. I really love the NATO (Wolfe) steel wheels from Land Rover. I want to run a 35inchtire in the near future and am struggling to find an accpetable solution. What I would really like is a 35X10.5, however, I have not been able to find any in a more subtle treasd pattern such as the MTR. So heres where I am at, I would like to stick with these 16X6.5 wheels. What kinda tire combos are out there that would feasibly fit this rim? What is the widest tire I can fit without worry?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
900-16 XZLs obviously

and you can put a 12.5" tire on a wolf wheel, you will just wear the center of the tread down faster.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was under the impression the 9x16 XZL's were around 36.8 overall. I dont think I'll be able to make those fit! I also thought the Wolf backspacing was the same as the AR rims at 4.5, but I would have to measure to check. I definitly know they are different from the stock wheels as far as backspacing is concerned.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Ok here goes:

You can generaly use the plus 3" rule. 5" inch rim = 8" section width. Around four inches is usually the max without feally like you are riding on an exercise ball.

Remember to use section width of the tire not the size on the side of it.

However this is just a thumb rule. Aspect ratio of the tire also applies here. Your going to get more "float" on a narrow rim-wide tire combo. Of course this all varies with sidewall strength/flexibility too...Not to mention bead stress.

Anyway, the best thing to have is as close to a straight sidewall while mounted on the rim as possible. Ballooning a tire on the rim will only increase the danger of sidewall damage from a tear.

Flame suit on. (no foil undies though)

j

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
redrangie said:
Ok here goes:

You can generaly use the plus 3" rule. 5" inch rim = 8" section width. Around four inches is usually the max without feally like you are riding on an exercise ball.

Remember to use section width of the tire not the size on the side of it.

However this is just a thumb rule. Aspect ratio of the tire also applies here. Your going to get more "float" on a narrow rim-wide tire combo. Of course this all varies with sidewall strength/flexibility too...Not to mention bead stress.

Anyway, the best thing to have is as close to a straight sidewall while mounted on the rim as possible. Ballooning a tire on the rim will only increase the danger of sidewall damage from a tear.

Flame suit on. (no foil undies though)

j
generally i use a +4" rule, with no less than +2" of difference. the sidewalls on the tires we are talking about are much tougher than the rims that we run them on, and i would rather get a sidewall scuff than a bent rim.

one thing you forgot to mention is that a narrower rim with the same width tire will hold the bead better. with your ideal scenario (sidewalls vertical) the rim wont hold a bead very well at all.

you do want (need?) some sidewall bulge to aid in tire flexibility, rim protection, and (IMO) aesthetics.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
THIS JUST IN!!!

Interco is releasing some new bogger sizes! they include 33x10.50s and 35x10.50s!

sweet! i know what im getting on my rover!

the 35x10.50s would be awesome for your application on the wolf wheels.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
9V said:

one thing you forgot to mention is that a narrower rim with the same width tire will hold the bead better. with your ideal scenario (sidewalls vertical) the rim wont hold a bead very well at all.

Just how many tires have you mounted or sold lately?

I said it depends on aspect ratio. That is the height of the sidewall in relation to the section width. Also, just so you know, too wide of a tire on a rim can actually cause the bead to fail. Beads are designed to hold at a particular angle.

In the four wheeling world, to wide of a tire will cause pinch flats or side wall damage from the inside out.

Oh, and your also mistaken about the road holding thing. Ever wonder why they make performance tires in 345/45/17's and mount them on 10-12 inch rims? (hint: straight sidewalls with little or know lateral flex)

Sloppy tires provide poor handling. However, they do grip rocks better at slow speeds.

j

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
redrangie said:
Sloppy tires provide poor handling. However, they do grip rocks better at slow speeds.

j
which is what rockcrawling is about, correct?

and just to prove a point, i actually have mounted and balanced about 5 or 6 tires this week so...?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
untrakdrover said:
Opinions needed. I really love the NATO (Wolfe) steel wheels from Land Rover. I want to run a 35inchtire in the near future and am struggling to find an accpetable solution. What I would really like is a 35X10.5, however, I have not been able to find any in a more subtle treasd pattern such as the MTR. So heres where I am at, I would like to stick with these 16X6.5 wheels. What kinda tire combos are out there that would feasibly fit this rim? What is the widest tire I can fit without worry?
Q78 Super Swamper TSL: 15" or 16" Wheel Sizes, approx 35.5"x10.8"

35x10.50x15 Super Swamper SSR Radials, with 16" rim size out now or coming out soon.

34x10.5x15/16 Super Swamper LTB

255/85/16 BFG MT - 33.5x10x16

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Could go with Allied rims (can get through High impact). They have the rover bolt pattern. Run some 17" rims if you want, they are making them now. Then you could get some 37" tires.

Way

·
Registered
202 Posts
..... yeah, but be very clear about the Allied wheels .... I just bought a set and (w/o going into the whole story) it seems High-Impact/Allied couldn't do all they were promising with respect to the LR wheels. Personally, if I had the time to wait, I'd shoot for a set of the new 17" alloy beadlocks from Walker-Evans. All in all, they're really not that much more expensive and a 'lighter' wheel would certainly be welcome....
T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts