Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Reached a crossroads here and looking for some advice on which course. Either way I go here is just about revenue neutral (zero out-of-pocket money) so cost isn't a factor, just looking for opinions about functionality. Both options are for all FIVE wheels/tires

Option A
Stock H1 12 bolt double beadlock wheels with PVC inserts and welded on rock rings. 3 inch billet spacer/adapters (bolt on, not just slide over studs) to make up for the really deep backspacing on the H1s. 37/12.5/16.5 Military OZ Wrangler MT take-offs. About 70% tread.

Option B
16x8 Rock Crawler steelies (4 inch backspacing). 38/13/16 Bias Swamper TSLs with about 80% tread. The tires are 3 years old, rig was stored in cover parking.

The Rig: '79 K5, the usual mild build (14b, sliders, bumpers, etc) used for trail riding and moderate rock crawling, driven on the street occasionally, including highway miles to/from trails.

So what would you guys run and why? I'm running the H1's now (would be trading to the Swampers). My concerns are: I don't really like the MT tires... great for the price, but not great overall, rough ride, no flex. Weight: the H1's are HEAVY. On the flip side, I'd be going from double beadlock back to no beadlock (although I would look into adding weld-on locks to the steelies in the not-too-distant future.)

Advice? :confused:

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Neither, I'd run 17's....so I could get tires that DIDN'T suck in the future. .02

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
On a full size rig like that, I'd def consider running a 42" tire...
37s will look tiny and won't give you the under-diff clearance and approach/departure angles you need

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I am assuming that both options are the only options. B. But, I vote pitbulls in a 42" flavor with 17" beadlocks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys! And yes, these are the only two options at the moment as this is a super-low-budget proposition. There's a front spring move/swap and other projects planned down the road that will let me run a larger tire, but for now it's staying as a mild rig on just 3 inches of lift, so the 37/38 range is fine...anything larger gets into the firewall.

I've had good experience in the past with plain ol' bias TSLs...I actually like them, so I was leaning to option B, but I was SO in love with the idea of double beadlocks!

Keep the feedback coming, but it looks like I may be going with the swampers and saving my pennies for some weld-on beadlocks.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I would run pitbulls at 15psi and no beadlocks before I would run TSL's at 6psi with beadlocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts