Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my quetion:

I have 44" tires, and I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best to replace them with. I am a little interested in ground hawgs and gumbo mudders. I do a little bit of everything, although predominantly mud/trails.

I just want to know what will work best offroad, although tire wear is a little important because I don't trailer my rig. TIA

·
Registered
98 Posts
Super swampers tsl's are hard to beat all around. Boggers work great but are hard on parts.

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
Good God Man!

44" Tires and you drive it around... talk about just tossing $$ out the window!

I vote on the 44" TSL too!

How do you manage not to get pulled over? Unless you have ungodly ugly lift your tub is all hacked up...

Got any pics?

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I had a set of 44 ground hawgs.
They did great in the mud and the wear was about three time longer than the gumbo mudders.

They go 3 times better too, don't let anyone give you the crap about a directional tire won't back up - what a load of crap.

I have never had a set of TSLs, so no comment.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
TSL's are hard to balance for the street, but they are worth it. My preference would be boggers if you are muddin them. ;)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, here's the deal: I have 4 half way worn gumbo mudders, and 2 new ground hawgs. I can either sell all six towards TSLs, or, after what SilverZuk said, should I sell the gumbos for two more groundhawgs? I am thinking I am not going to keep the gumbos either way.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I say grow some nuts and run some Michelin 12 R20s, 14 R20s or 395 85 20s in either XL or XML. The tires are bigger than 44s, regroovable, radial, and have hellish sidewalls. Not to mention they are pretty cheap. (Usually around 150). The catch is you need 20 inch rims, but if you are paying for beadlock already then they are usually less (through John or Daniel), and the tires are a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I say grow some nuts and run some Michelin 12 R20s, 14 R20s or 395 85 20s in either XL or XML. The tires are bigger than 44s, regroovable, radial, and have hellish sidewalls. Not to mention they are pretty cheap. (Usually around 150). The catch is you need 20 inch rims, but if you are paying for beadlock already then they are usually less (through John or Daniel), and the tires are a lot cheaper.
That is what I want to do, eventually. In the meantime, however, I only have 30spline axles up front (let the flaming begin). Eventually I will upgrade to rockwells, but in the meantime this is what I've got.

·
Registered
216 Posts
axles

You can run the 395 85 R20s with one ton axles, that is with ctms and 35 spline outers. And hydro stering wouldn't hurt. But that is just to say it can be done.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Forgot to mention...you can also grove the hell out of them, that drops a good bit of weight and gives you more voids and deeper lugs. The Peterson Off Road super duty ran them with 35 spline and ctm. The did brake some shafts but that was because of all the weight, and the weak stering. The tires would slam all the way out or all the way in before the would bust. Even some of the guys around it say that if they had a better stering the shafts would have even held the weight of the diesel truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts