Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a rockcrusher HP 60 in the rear of my TJ and I am thinking about selling or putting it up front. I am considereing going a cheaper and stronger route for rear, possibly a shaved 14-bolt. I figure I can build one for less than a 1 grand. Only thing is I am keeping the stock wheelbase, as I do alot street driving. So how much of a pinion angle can a 14-bolt handle with a decent amount of street driving or is 14-bolt a bad idea? I am going to be running 38s and 5:13s with 5 inches of lift. Also, if anyone has any pictures of 14-bolts in a stock wheel base TJ post them up.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hvy_Chevy said:
go for something with better clearance.
I thought shaving a 14-bolt would provide the same clearance as a 60 and if I were to go with a LP 60 it would cost more to set-up, because I would want to upgrade to 35 spline shafts and narrow the axle. I don't have a truck or trailer so I do not want to go full width and I want something strong enough where I don’t have to worry about breaking and not be able to drive home from the trails.

mississippizj said:
Why is a 60 not strong enough to support 38's?.
Since its high pinion it's not as strong as a LP 60. The HP 60 would most likely hold up with 38's, but I made the mistake when I bought it and went with factory TJ width (60.5") semi-float and if I go with a C&C 14-bolt I would gain 3 inches and full float. Additionally, the plan is to go with a 65" (WMS) HP 60 up front.

I looked into increasing the width and going full float on the HP 60 and it would cost $1000 to do. If I can sell the hp 60 for say $2500, I can buy a 78-79 HP 60 and narrow it for about the same. Then I would only be out the $1000 to set-up a new rear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts