Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a (almost) flat skid for my TJ which my Dana 300 is allowing me to do. As part of the project I am relocating the tranny's mounting point to a frame mounted crossmember utilizing bushings on the frame ends of the crossmember, rather than underneath the tranny. This is dual purpose: one, it allows me to remove the skidplate without having to support the transmission, two, it moves the bushings from under the tranny so the bottom of the tranny and T-case are now the lowest points, a 2" gain. The only problem i am running into is that the catalytic converter is right where i'd like part of the crossmember to go, (without dipping below the line of the planned skidplate). I am throwing around the idea of replacing (not removing, NY is kinda strict)the cat with an aftermarket version that won't hang as low, and therefor will allow me to make the crossmember beefier. I know there are a lot out there, but if anyone has done such a swap themselves, I'd love to know the unit you used and any specs you have on it.

Thanks
-Jer

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks.
Do you know if it was a standard off the shelf universal fit type jobbie or is it intended for a TJ specifically. any chance you have some dimensions/pics, possibly how much you paid?

-Jer

·
Registered
54 Posts
dont forget about performance

when i redid my exhaust i took a long time to look around for cats. the borla header and flowmaster where easy.....but the cat throw me......i looked at local shops, summitracing.com, jcwhitney.com, all universal crap. low flow pos. and wayyyyyy to much $$$$$$.

go to rustysoffroad.com they sell really nice highflow cats. nice and inexspensive too, 99$ compared to 199 from local and other online. it is nice though, on those other web pages there are lots of dimensions to look at.
try that.

other thing to do would be to move the cat forward or backward, make a good excuse to redo the exhaust system too.
good luck
Sean

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I looked at rusty's site, Wish there was more info there. you don't have any pics do you?

I am not doing this for a performance gain, but i'd like to avoid a performance loss if at all possible. I looked at the possibility of jsut moving the stock cat, but it's not really possible because where it is the roomiest spot, so moving it would create the need to make it lower, and that is the opposite of what i am trying to do.
I haven't had a chance yet to actually go look at any at the store yet.

anyone who has any pics/ prices/ dimiensions, I'd love to have them..
-Jer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts