Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of swapping a Manugm in a 97 TJ and can't figure this thing out.

So far I have everything in place, I have the Jeep gray plug that goes from the firewall and PDC to the PCM. I also have wires leading to the fuel pump to power it but still no go. I hotwired the fuel pump so I know it's working and I know the PCM has some function too it because after I crank it, the spark plugs smell like gas. But the ASD relay is not working which means I'm not getting any spark and also my scanner is not working when plugged into the OBD port. But I do have power coming out of the OBD port.

What am I missing here? I'm about to toss in the towel because atomic 4x4 is local but see if anyone here has any advice.

thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm about to do the same swap in my tj. I've been talking to a guy at atomic4x4 and they've been helping me out. They have done the same swap so they might be able to help you out with your problems.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Why a 5.2? Get it cheap?

i assume you swapped everything over with the 5.2 (including harness)? What did the 5.2 come out of? a dodge or jeep?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why a 5.2? Get it cheap?

i assume you swapped everything over with the 5.2 (including harness)? What did the 5.2 come out of? a dodge or jeep?

well I kind of have a mix of parts here. Got a 94 Grand Cherokee 5.2 that came with a 97 Dodge ram intake, tb, and a good bit of electronics for 100 bucks. It was smoking a bit and needing new valve seals. So I did a head job on it and well see how she runs; if I can get it started.

my harness is from a 97 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 and my PCM is from a 97 Dodge 1500 5.2.

So it could be any number of things causing problems here.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
well I kind of have a mix of parts here. Got a 94 Grand Cherokee 5.2 that came with a 97 Dodge ram intake, tb, and a good bit of electronics for 100 bucks. It was smoking a bit and needing new valve seals. So I did a head job on it and well see how she runs; if I can get it started.

my harness is from a 97 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 and my PCM is from a 97 Dodge 1500 5.2.

So it could be any number of things causing problems here.

Have you tried a different ECM? I want to say I ran into problems like that when I did mine. Needs the correct ECM. There is a federal and CAL ECM also for smog if that effects you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried a different ECM? I want to say I ran into problems like that when I did mine. Needs the correct ECM. There is a federal and CAL ECM also for smog if that effects you.

only have one PCM that I've tried.

anyone have anymore ideas?

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you can't get it started I know exactly what your problem is. We put a 5.2 in Upper2's jeep a while back and couldn't get his started. His motor was from a 99 Durango I think. We went through 3 computers before we got it to run.

The problem is the SKIM system. Basically, your computer is telling your motor it's stolen, and shuts it down. If you put a test light on your injectors and try to turn it over, you will see them pulse for just a second and go off. I think we ended up getting a 96 Ram 1500 computer to work. If I remember right, that's the last year before the SKIM. If you can find another computer that's older, get the VIN out of it, and see if you can get a dealership to run it and tell you whether it's got SKIM or not. After we got a computer without SKIM, the motor ran like a top.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
If you can't get it started I know exactly what your problem is. We put a 5.2 in Upper2's jeep a while back and couldn't get his started. His motor was from a 99 Durango I think. We went through 3 computers before we got it to run.

The problem is the SKIM system. Basically, your computer is telling your motor it's stolen, and shuts it down. If you put a test light on your injectors and try to turn it over, you will see them pulse for just a second and go off. I think we ended up getting a 96 Ram 1500 computer to work. If I remember right, that's the last year before the SKIM. If you can find another computer that's older, get the VIN out of it, and see if you can get a dealership to run it and tell you whether it's got SKIM or not. After we got a computer without SKIM, the motor ran like a top.
If it has SKIM then it will start and run for about 2 to 3 seconds for about 5 or 6 times then it won't start at all. Like 95YJ said, it thinks the engine is stolen. If it never started at all then you don't have something wired correctly at the PCM.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it has SKIM then it will start and run for about 2 to 3 seconds for about 5 or 6 times then it won't start at all. Like 95YJ said, it thinks the engine is stolen. If it never started at all then you don't have something wired correctly at the PCM.

the coil is not energizing at all. The injectors do have voltage coming from them. What could be wired incorrectly?

The only wires that I have plugged in right now is the Gray PCM and C103 to the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I have to say this swap is not for the faint of heart. When I did mine, I bolted the 5.2 in and had a friend come over to help wire it (I'm colorblind). We started at 8:00am with 2 laptops running schematics for each vehicle i.e. 99 Durango and 98 Jeep Wrangler. We finished at 1:30am with everything wired except the fuel gauge and speedometer. Basically you have to marry the two harnesses together. I had the problem with SKIM on the ECM that came wit the Durango engine. I sent to a guy in Michigan to get it reprogrammed and SKIM removed but it couldn't get the security out. I ended up buying a used ECM from a Dodge Ram and sent it to get it performance programmed. This is probably the best mod I've done to my rig since I started building it. Nothing like doing burnouts on dry pavement with 39.5 IROKS. :smokin:

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Your mix of ECMs with that motor seems strange, although with the 97 intake it should still start. Did it EVER start? No power to the coil, or no power FROM the coil? Maybe the computer is bad? My security system (as well as my girlfriend's 94 security system) will allow the motor to start but will kill it immediately. Have you tried resetting the ECM?

·
Registered
923 Posts
sorry for the jack. would somebody give info on doing this to my mj

·
Registered
701 Posts
There is a place down in Texas that will burn you a computer also. It is called AutoComp Technologies (281)447-9800 (888)217-4072

It cost $225 + $50 core and they even put my TJ's vin# in when they burned it.

What issues are you having now? Any luck? Do you have the wiring diagrams for both the TJ & the year truck your harness came from?

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=277042
Check this link out and see if it helps any.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am just about to start helping a friend with this swap. He's buying a complete, rolled, 1996 Ram 1500 5.2 as a donor vehicle and the TJ is a 1997. There are no smog or emmissions laws here (eastern Canada) so the engine being a year older than the Jeep is no big deal. I'm hoping because of the age of both vehicles we will have no SKIM or other PCM/BCM security issues. Is this a safe assumption?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I pulled this from here:

When a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is replaced on vehicles equipped with the Sentry Key"' Theft Deterrent System, it must be initialized to properly function with the anti-theft module. This is accomplished at a Chrysler Group Dealer by using the DRBIII or StarSCAN Scan Tool to enter a PIN number.

When the PIN number is not available from the vehicle owner or a Chrysler Group Scan Tool(s) is not available this can be accomplished by writing the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) into the PCM using an after-market scan tool with a "VIN Write Function". More information is available from the scan tool manufacturer or the Equipment & Tool Institute.

NOTE: After performing this procedure with an after-market scan tool on vehicles equipped with Chrysler Group's Next Generation Controller (NGC), Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) "PO633 - SKIM SECRET KEY DATA NOT STORED IN PCM" will be set. This DTC will not affect vehicle or system performance and cannot be erased.
There is also information about which vehicles are effected.

Paul (may run into this myself...)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm doing a similar swp and I kinda wanna bring this back from the dead.

I pulled a 5.9/46re from a 1999 dodge 1500
To replace my
4.0/42rle in my 2004 rubicon

Will I have ECM problems like this??? I sent the wiring into street and performance and they said there is a chance that the computer won't work...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I did this swap about 4 yrs. ago. I started to deal with the wiring and said fawk it. Bit the bullet and sent the wiring to Backwoods Offroad in Oregon. Its been a while I forgot his name. Super cool and was happy with the wring harness when I got it back. Plugged everything in and it looks factory. Little pricey but its done and NO headaches!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts