Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for hours and could only find one other reference to this question.

Background: I've got a '97 TJ, 4.0, AX-15, NP231, D30/D44.
I'm replacing my AX-15 with a 32RH/TF999 (it's a good price) and I won't be the primary driver anymore. It will become the wifey's DD with a little highway use but nothing crazy. The TF999 is coming out of a '97 TJ.

My question is can the manual lockup switch be avoided? Is there a way to wire it to the factory computer? Are the ECU's between the manual and the automatic really different?

The only other reference on this particular question is found here:
http://www.thebassetts.us/Jeep/AW4/AW4_files/page0002.htm

"It is common for others who do the TF 999 conversion to put a switch on the dash to lock the torque converter at speed. I don’t believe this is necessary. The manual computer will do it if you connect it to the right spot in the harness. In fact I believe the plug is under the TJ for it already."

Another question. What kind of clearance will I loose and how much with a deep pan?

Thanks.

General Hardcore Disclaimer:
FFS! I don't need to weigh pro/con vs an AW4 or the like. See above. It's a good price. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is another option you can try to find, I have an 87 chevy p/u which came out with a TBI setup on it with a 700R4 (lockup converter) and i built a bigger motor for it and i wouldn't run with the TBI it was starved for fuel. so i changed it over to a carb setup, which eliminated the computer controls so the converter couldn't be controlled anymore so i found a kit from TCI which puts the converter on a vacume switch, instead of a toggle, you might look for a kit like that for you jeep tranny

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reprogram Flash ECU?

Alright so AFAIK now, the wiring on the current ECU is there but the programming is different. Can anyone confirm this? Secondly it is possible to reflash the ECU on this Jeep?

·
Registered
98 Posts
to be honest i have a 1997 tj with the 4.0l and the tf 999. i love it and just had it rebuilt. the shifting is all hydrolic the only thing that is electronic is the lockup converter. ive talked to a couple people about this with mine and as far as they know you have to change the pcm becaus the language is not in the manual computer to function the converter. the computer reads the coolent temp along with wheel speed and trans gear to determin when to lockup the converter.

not shure about reflashing

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
so here's another question, probably stupid. my 97 runs a 999 with a switch for the lockup on the center console, but the wires are cut to the switch, and my tranny has to be shifed manually. i know nothing about the lockups, is this related? will running without the switch hooked up hurt anything? mine is a trail only rig, the tranny was like this when i bought it. (the previouis owner didn't know much about the jeep, he bought it as was, so i pulled and have redone everything except the tranny so far).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do I need the same year PCM?
no it just has to be within the years before they became electronic shifted i think that was 2000 and on but dont quote me
so here's another question, probably stupid. my 97 runs a 999 with a switch for the lockup on the center console, but the wires are cut to the switch, and my tranny has to be shifed manually. i know nothing about the lockups, is this related? will running without the switch hooked up hurt anything? mine is a trail only rig, the tranny was like this when i bought it. (the previouis owner didn't know much about the jeep, he bought it as was, so i pulled and have redone everything except the tranny so far).
for your tf999 to shift the detent cable has to be connected to the throttle linkage. it controls the shifting in the valve body. if this isnt hooked up it wont shift. the manual switch to your lockup converter, if that is cut or disconected it just will never lockup. which dosnt matter if its a just a trail rig anyways.

hope this helps

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
no it just has to be within the years before they became electronic shifted i think that was 2000 and on but dont quote me

for your tf999 to shift the detent cable has to be connected to the throttle linkage. it controls the shifting in the valve body. if this isnt hooked up it wont shift. the manual switch to your lockup converter, if that is cut or disconected it just will never lockup. which dosnt matter if its a just a trail rig anyways.
2003 is the first year that TJ's didn't use the 32RH.
The TV cable controls at what speed (rpm) the transmission shifts.
The transmission will still shift without the TV cable hooked up, it would depend on where the cable is set as to when it would shift...

·
Registered
98 Posts
The TV cable controls at what speed (rpm) the transmission shifts.
The transmission will still shift without the TV cable hooked up, it would depend on where the cable is set as to when it would shift...
the first part is true but the second part makes no sence

sorry explain

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
the first part is true but the second part makes no sence

sorry explain
I makes perfect sense. Drive with the cable disco'd and you will burn the trans up. The transmission determines when to shift based on TV (throttle valve or throttle position) and the governor. The TV boosts the line pressure, so if you throttle down, you must have a line rise in the pressure or the components in the trans could slip. It will shift early with the TV cable disconnected or set too loose, and will shift late at high RPM's if it is too tight.

As far as the lockup, as your first reply stated, you could use a vacuum switch and wire in the brake lamp circuit. Done all the time on 700's. Simple easy hookup. If you trail only the rig, screw the lockup control. If you daily drive it, I would not recommend not having the control. You will eat fuel, and run the risk of overheating the trans.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Keith
I also will be swapping in a TF999, I plan on running a Manual Valve body/Shift kit. It will not be daily driven but driven on the street to the trail. I also plan on running 2 coolers, one fin type and another with a fan. Could I put a manual switch on the dash somewhere and just remember to shut it off while going through the gears? Thanks for the info, and partial hijack.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey Knuckelhead
How do you like the fan underneath??? I've heard good and bad on that Idea. Thanks for the info by the way.
D :massey:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts