Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well guys my D35 went south today, i'm looking for some options, i want either a 9" or a 60 in the rear, if i do it now it will be done and never revisited again, please let me know what to do. i plan on getting the axel from a wrecker and building to fit, i would like 61-65" wide, disks would be nice but i can always do that later, and the gears and locker setup is yet to be determined.
please let me know what a good donor vehicle would be and which i should go with, the 9" or 60, i would prolly shave it too. and i plan on fabing and welding the brackets too.
:beer:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well........without very much info (tire size and other specs)...if you wanted a 9" they can be had at about the appropriate stock TJ width and with disc brakes from '70's Lincoln Versialles.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
if you still got a stock 30 up front that is 5on4 1/2 lug pattern, than your gonna have a hard desicion to make, I would go with a 44 from an XJ, with the tow package, bolts on with little work.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tire size is 35 and prolly bigger later, but if i do this right now i don't have to upgrade later, and spend more, thats what i'm after.

the axel broke today with 35x12.50 MTRs on her

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sharp, you trying to do this on a specific budget?

How big are you planning on going with this in the future? Tire size, gear ratio, lift height, wheelbase, etc. More info needed to make correct decision.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Go with the D60, and then like you said, you can forget about it. Do it right the first time. It saves money in the long run.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you go with the D60 you will need to run some pretty tall tires unless you like dragging your diff.
You will also need to worry about new rims for the different lug pattern.
You will also need to worry about the width since it will most likely be wider than the D30.
Sure you will have the last axle you will ever need:rolleyes: but it's not as easy as it sounds.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
HunkOJunk said:
If you go with the D60 you will need to run some pretty tall tires unless you like dragging your diff.
You will also need to worry about new rims for the different lug pattern.
You will also need to worry about the width since it will most likely be wider than the D30.
Sure you will have the last axle you will ever need:rolleyes: but it's not as easy as it sounds.
There are stock D60's that are TJ width & wheel bolt patturn.
Doesn't solve the snowplow issue though (though you can trim to ~D44's size).

My D60 came from a 1969 Dodge Hemi Charger, ~59" wide, 5 on 4.5" bolt circle, 1.5" semi-floating shafts.
The biggest problem is the wheel bolt patturn sucks once it's time to upgrade your ft axle.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
jpnjim said:

There are stock D60's that are TJ width & wheel bolt patturn.
Doesn't solve the snowplow issue though (though you can trim to ~D44's size).

My D60 came from a 1969 Dodge Hemi Charger, ~59" wide, 5 on 4.5" bolt circle, 1.5" semi-floating shafts.
The biggest problem is the wheel bolt patturn sucks once it's time to upgrade your ft axle.
You beat me too it. :flipoff2:

Bolt pattern wouldn that be a big deal...either new shafts and brakes or spares.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If your going to tires that are bigger than 35's then stick with a 60. Oh, and mine doesn't have that snow plow problem

·
Registered
888 Posts
When and if you build the D60. Use axles with both bolt patterns dilled in them. Use your 5x4 1/2 to match the front until you build a front axle, and then move the studs in the rear axle to 5x5 1/2. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Jeepmangled87 said:
if you still got a stock 30 up front that is 5on4 1/2 lug pattern, than your gonna have a hard desicion to make, I would go with a 44 from an XJ, with the tow package, bolts on with little work.
Um, a little work? That might be relative. TJ 44's are more plentiful than the XJ 44, and it really will bolt right up.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
well the reason it is a long term project is that i don't have much $$ at the mo(or else a prorock 60 would be in the mail :p ), so it would begin with a junkyard axel and then i'd build it to fit the application, i'm just gonna get a replacement shaft from a friend as far as a quick fix goes.

as mentioned the prob with the D60 is the clearance and the bolt pattern, is it a big deal to have 2 patterns?

thats the only reason i'm considering the 9" since i can get it to be almost as strong as the 60, have more clearance and have a 5 on 4.5 pattern. possibly shave it a bit too.

i don't see the wheel base or height of my jeep changing for a while yet, as i have to still use it as a dd...

man 60 or 9" :confused:
oh, what would you guys say is the minimum tire size to run on a shaved 60? and have it not drag too bad?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Most (not all) 60s are 30 spline shafts just like a D44. Make sure you get the 35 spline and don't waste your time with the 30 spline if you are going to go to the trouble of a D60.

9" are lighter, smaller, etc. and easier to set up. I've seen my share of broken center sections though, even the nodular. But that said I've seen a lot of people thrash the hell out of them with no problem at all!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Personally i've never seen a D60 rear axle break in a Jeep. Which is why I have one. I supposed it has happened, but those guys are probably demo derby stars. I have seen the 9" break.

Look at what Currie runs in their rock buggys now.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've seen the 30 spline models snap shafts.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i'm not likely to find a D60 with 35 splines 62" wide and with 5 on 4.5 right....:(

i'm going to triangulate the rear uppers too like the pic CRASS_L posted so that will truss the axel too, but i plan on mounting the arms above the center section to a truss that connects the tubes.

so if i go with a 9 is it critical to get a nodular?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sharp said:
so i'm not likely to find a D60 with 35 splines 62" wide and with 5 on 4.5 right....:(
:D I found one, here on the for sale forum. 1.5" 35 spline Mosers, 63" with disc brakes and an empty diff. I added 4.88s and a detroit.

Personally, I would either get a TJ D44 or a Ford 8.8. The 8.8 should easily handle up to 36/37" tires, and some run even larger, plus it has discs and bolt pattern and width to match the D30. If you are running 38's or bigger, you probably want to go with full width 60s or 60/14bolt anyways.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Sharp said:

i'm going to triangulate the rear uppers too like the pic CRASS_L posted so that will truss the axel too, but i plan on mounting the arms above the center section to a truss that connects the tubes.

so if i go with a 9 is it critical to get a nodular?
Maybe not 62" wide but 59" wide. Cuda D60 is what your looking for...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts