Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I noticed your ram mount on the front of the truss, it looks super clean.
Did you buy that from artec like that or is that something you made?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I noticed your ram mount on the front of the truss, it looks super clean.
Did you buy that from artec like that or is that something you made?
I actually had Jesse Haines make that for me when I ordered my steering arms from him. I seen it on one of his buggys and liked how clean it looked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got the rear 14" shocks mounted and cycled and mounted my seats. Also built a radiator hoop and some headlight mounts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Started cycling the front suspension with my two piece driveline mocked up. I ended up finding some 1350/1410 combination driveshafts at a local off road swap meet and cut them down to work for me. For the carrier bearing I used a stainless pillow block bearing on a Dana 60 pinion that I cut the gear off and had it machined to fit inside 2" 1/4" wall tubing. Then made a plate to mount the bearing to my link crossmember.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Some finishing touches getting it put together for New Years in Johnson valley.
Used 3/16 ar400 to build the belly with some angle iron attached to bolt it on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
First couple trips were New Years weekend and koh. Rig did great, very stable and slides over rocks pretty well, wheelbase did end up at 115" and belly height on 39s is 17-18"

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Got the exhaust ceramic coated. And went to Tierra del sol in ocotillo wells, got it weighed and it came in at 3960lbs which is right where I was shooting for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Threw on some sticky 42" mtrs that a buddy had just to see how I liked it and I'm thinking it's a much better size for this rig. Brought all my clearances way up and was getting hung up a lot less.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Now that it's going to be hot soon I plan to finish some things that never got done, including building a roof and some side panels, scooting the battery over a bit because it scares me that it could get hit. And cleaning up some wiring from constantly adding more accessories.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Also not so soon future plans include building a new rear housing with either full float or matching 05+ steering knuckles. And really leaning towards swapping in a Toyota 1jz vvti single turbo engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Last time I wheeled it I had the lug nuts back off under the two piece wheel adapter and the wheel fell off, luckily wasn't going fast and realized it was happening. Which is the reason I want to build a matching rear axle housing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
So the rear axle build has started. Sold my semifloat housing and picked up a rock assault 9" housing and ordered some parts to use 05+ d60 outers. Also cut my lower link mounts off to triangulate them to make room for steering tires.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I actually had Jesse Haines make that for me when I ordered my steering arms from him. I seen it on one of his buggys and liked how clean it looked.
Is that a 10" stroke ram? I ASSume it is based on the steering you have. I have not had much luck finding 10" single ended rams.

BTW, LOVE this build. Been thinking of building a buggy like this but start with a 2x3 frame instead of a TJ frame. This thing is awesome.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts