Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've lost my mind;what the wife says anyway.

Been about two years since I put the 60's in the TJ and It performed pretty well, But ive always wanted rear steer. After thinking through my options,Rockwells are the only way to go. Especially, If you look at the cost and Knowing how much $ I had in my front 60, I damn sure didnt wat to build another one!

I wasnt sure If I was gonna do a thread on this but I think it will keep me motivated. Now.... On to the pics.

This is what she use to look like

Gettin ready to yank the 60's....

Thaught I was gonna tear up when these rolled out the drive way with thier new owner.. :( Lotta sweat went into those suckers!

Then all the scavengers show up. Cant get the stuff unbolted fast enough!

I hope its not in this spot for long..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With all the RE lift and skid gone I had to come up with a skid, then I rembered my stock skid was out there in the bushes some where. I figure Ill just beef it up a tad.. I cut all the humps out of it and made me a template,then welded the piece 1/4" plate to it.

Plate cut for the skid.

One of the shop hands... :D

Got the front rockwell stipped,cleaned and shaved..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Time to get this sucker back together after replaceing the seals in the tubes with the ones form "custom off-road" and slaping a Detroit in the carrier. I hope these seals are worth the coin and keep the gear oil out of the knuckle. I hope I dont have to tear it down this far for some time to replace a damn seal. This crap is some heavy stuff. Especially when your a one man crew most of the time. I forsee weekly chiropractor vists. :flipoff2:

The guy that had these rocks had a home brew histeer arm on it and Im not gonna be needing it, so I fabbed a kingpin cap to replace it.

Puttin the centersection back in. I dont see how anyone could lift this damn thing and get it the housing. My spine is jacked up enough as it is. Thanks to a friend of mine for letting me borrow his engine hoist..

Got one side back together and starting on the next... Here you can see the new seal and one piece boot.

When I was going back together with this side I hit a little delima. I remember the fella that had these axle's saying that he had trouble keeping his histeer arm tight.. I can see why now. Three or the four hole's for the kingpin cap aint got a lick of damn threads left in them! :mad3: Only thing I know to do would be either find another knuckle or drill it out and tap it to a larger bolt size. Always sumthin! :mad3:

I will try and keep this thread updated as much as possible.. Got to get back out in the shop and figure out what to do about this knuckle.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
you better get a move on so you can make the Labor Day FTK run......

your neighbors across the street must love you as much as mine do! :shaking:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
P&T Jeeps said:
You talkin about this pic?

I have NO neighbors... That is our house..

Man I hope I can make it labor day... I just hope my spine will hold up through this! :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know you could bring some of yo FTK buds up for a beautiful,greasy weekend of wrenching.. I can promise CHEAP beer for all!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P&T Jeeps said:
you better get a move on so you can make the Labor Day FTK run......

FTK run? I may have to ride with you! :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I see you live in Louisiana. What town? I am currently living in Morgan City. I have a '93 Grand Cherokee with dual 60's, front coilovers, and 38's. Maybe we can hit the tails together when you finish? I have found about 5 Cajuns roaming the forums. We have a bigger following in Louisiana than I initially thought.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nathon001 said:
I see you live in Louisiana. What town? I am currently living in Morgan City. I have a '93 Grand Cherokee with dual 60's, front coilovers, and 38's. Maybe we can hit the tails together when you finish? I have found about 5 Cajuns roaming the forums. We have a bigger following in Louisiana than I initially thought.
I am just north of Shreveport, There is a buncha coon asses around here :smokin:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fl-Krawler said:
if keeping the origional size bolt is important to you, you can always drill and tap the treads and use a heli-coil to repair it
I think I am gonna just drill it out and tap it to a larger size. I thaught about the heli-coil option also...

thx

·
Registered
615 Posts
LUVMYTJ said:
You talkin about this pic?

I have NO neighbors... That is our house..

Man I hope I can make it labor day... I just hope my spine will hold up through this! :D

One of the house pictures is reversed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds like what I did. Had 60's F and R and decided to go with Rockwells. Lookin good so far. Good plan on redoing the seals now. I'm going to have to pull my front back out and replace the inner seals :mad3: Either way good luck with your project. I deffinately recommend doing links opposed to leaves with those big heavy rocks.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As far as tires... Im gonna run 44" tsl's. For the suspension I am gonna try the redneck ONE link In the rear. Ive seen a bunch of rigs running it and it just looks so simple,so I gotta give it a whirl. If I dont like it I will four link it. I am gonna run a 4 link in the front ditching the track bar.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Dang Lee. seems like you just put in the 60's...

Did Buster buy them? I need to get back up that way and wheel with ya'll again.

Here's what yours looked like last time I saw it.

Good luck with the build.

EDIT: and I just noticed...i think that's your rig behind me in my avatar.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gumbojeepyj said:
Dang Lee. seems like you just put in the 60's...

Did Buster buy them? I need to get back up that way and wheel with ya'll again.

Here's what yours looked like last time I saw it.

Good luck with the build.

EDIT: and I just noticed...i think that's your rig behind me in my avatar.
Whoa. Thanks for the wakeup man. It had strait fenders and bumper!!

Rodney jerked the 60's up.. I think a group is headed to HS next weekend.You oughta hook up wit them...

1 - 20 of 227 Posts