Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't do much posting! Just a lot of lurking and trying to learn from the folks that have been there! So Thanks for posting what you build!
I'm 52 and started wheeling 4 years ago in a Yj 4 banger. Since then I can't get enough of this! I wont go into what I've done with the 4 banger, i'll go straight to what I have built using the knowledge taken from many trips and this board.
I decided to build a jeep from scratch using a 98 TJ tub and frame. The goal was to build a rig that was capable yet affordable:shaking: instead of continually up grading! Keep in mind that I am from Louisiana and rocks are a long way from where I live!! My closest trip is 6-7 hrs. from my house! Flame on about the welds cause I do everytime I step back and look at them:D I am a cabinet maker by trade, bought my first welder 2 years ago and learned how to weld on my own. This project was done with a bandsaw, plasma 550,tube bender(complements of rockmup), 250 miller,1 million grinding disks and absolutely no training in automotive or metal fab! It has taken a little over a year to do it in my spare time.

So here is what I have to build. 98 tub and frame, build 4 link front and rear, 95 LT1, th350, 203/205 ford doubler, 14 bolt rear, hp 60 front full hydro steer, detroits, 44's. 115" wheel base.

To save money, I have done the labor on everything I could. I built the axles, set up the gears, built the motor, built the tranny, the doubler I bought here for a good deal! I even learned how to read instructions when I did the tranny:D .

Here's the tub and frame

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive tire Auto part

And the finished product
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

Now the process!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
welded and primed
Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Vehicle Suspension

I went to the front drilled a 2 1/2" hole, took a piece of 1/2" plate 4" long x 2 3/8 wide and slid it inside after tapping it for the bolt. Then welded it up. When the cartrige joint goes in I used a washer the thickness of the frame material to shim it out.
Pipe Muffler

outside brace. Top gusset was added after this
Auto part

RE 5 1/2" springs added on stock coil buckets I had left over
Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tub on
Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

The only pic I have with rear frame finished. I took the curved piece I cut off earlier, turned it upside down to make the curve in the frame, then finished it with 2x4 tubing including the bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car

Then I went to the front, cut the frame and straightened it out to clear the hydro steering. Used the same inside frame bracing and plug welds.
Auto part Vehicle Engine Bumper Suspension

Then the shock hoops
Auto part Vehicle Pipe Engine Machine

mockup, must have done this a hundred times:D
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Off-road vehicle

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
rock rod said:
mockup, must have done this a hundred times:D
I know the feeling! I just pulled my axles out for the last time, to finish welding stuff & paint 'em. Gets old really quick moving 1-tons around by yourself.

Nice job on the build, seems very well planned and executed.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts