Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't do much posting! Just a lot of lurking and trying to learn from the folks that have been there! So Thanks for posting what you build!
I'm 52 and started wheeling 4 years ago in a Yj 4 banger. Since then I can't get enough of this! I wont go into what I've done with the 4 banger, i'll go straight to what I have built using the knowledge taken from many trips and this board.
I decided to build a jeep from scratch using a 98 TJ tub and frame. The goal was to build a rig that was capable yet affordable:shaking: instead of continually up grading! Keep in mind that I am from Louisiana and rocks are a long way from where I live!! My closest trip is 6-7 hrs. from my house! Flame on about the welds cause I do everytime I step back and look at them:D I am a cabinet maker by trade, bought my first welder 2 years ago and learned how to weld on my own. This project was done with a bandsaw, plasma 550,tube bender(complements of rockmup), 250 miller,1 million grinding disks and absolutely no training in automotive or metal fab! It has taken a little over a year to do it in my spare time.

So here is what I have to build. 98 tub and frame, build 4 link front and rear, 95 LT1, th350, 203/205 ford doubler, 14 bolt rear, hp 60 front full hydro steer, detroits, 44's. 115" wheel base.

To save money, I have done the labor on everything I could. I built the axles, set up the gears, built the motor, built the tranny, the doubler I bought here for a good deal! I even learned how to read instructions when I did the tranny:D .

Here's the tub and frame
100_0077.JPG
100_0143.JPG

And the finished product
100_1317.JPG

Now the process!

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
c'mon loyd,

give us all the juicy pics in one thread...

show these cats how we (you) do it down in cajun land

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welded and primed
100_0765.JPG

I went to the front drilled a 2 1/2" hole, took a piece of 1/2" plate 4" long x 2 3/8 wide and slid it inside after tapping it for the bolt. Then welded it up. When the cartrige joint goes in I used a washer the thickness of the frame material to shim it out.
100_0768.JPG
outside brace. Top gusset was added after this
100_0770.JPG
RE 5 1/2" springs added on stock coil buckets I had left over
100_0798.JPG

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tub on
100_0814.JPG
The only pic I have with rear frame finished. I took the curved piece I cut off earlier, turned it upside down to make the curve in the frame, then finished it with 2x4 tubing including the bumper
100_0946.JPG
Then I went to the front, cut the frame and straightened it out to clear the hydro steering. Used the same inside frame bracing and plug welds.
100_0829.JPG
Then the shock hoops
100_0833.JPG
mockup, must have done this a hundred times:D
100_0837.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
rock rod said:
mockup, must have done this a hundred times:D
I know the feeling! I just pulled my axles out for the last time, to finish welding stuff & paint 'em. Gets old really quick moving 1-tons around by yourself.

Nice job on the build, seems very well planned and executed.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts