Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
nights end here
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been building a 2k TJ from the ground up for the last 3 months. Took it down to the frame and body and started from there.... Going Dana 60s F&R linked with stretched wheelbase, TF999, np231 w/sye, full cage, hydro steer, 39.5 Iroks, H1 wheels, etc. Finally got most of it together but am running into problems with the front suspension/driveline. It looks like the D-shaft will have to be exceptionally small diameter to clear the tranny?? Anyone else messed with this? Also trying to build a wishbone 3 link for the front and running into clearance issues with oil pan and rad, trying to stay with 5.5" RE springs. Just lookin for some ideas and search keeps timin out so...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
How far did you narrow the front down? When the I did mine it was just under 64" and it was close in the front DS department as far as the exaust and tranny. My DS ended up being directly under the exaust.

·
Registered
256 Posts
We have used a carrier bearing to move the drive shaft far enough to the side to clear the tranny. It works pretty well espescially if your legthening you wheel base.

·
nights end here
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. We are keepin it full width, it will be low and wide. Any pics of the suspension/dshaft would be appreciated. Ill post pics of the build soon.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
is your front end centered? w/ full width's you should have much of a problem... :confused:

·
nights end here
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it certainly seems centered, thats why im kinda stumped on the clearance issue, i wondering if i need to go a little taller on the springs but really dont want to

·
Registered
17 Posts
a PTO shaft from tractor supply company should be small enough in diameter to give you the clearance and unless you got big block torque i hardly think you will have breakage issues,

keep your wheels spinnin and beavers grinnin folks

91 wrangler rockwells, small block ford, np435, np205 front and rear steer, stretched wheel base :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I had the same problem on my YJ with an auto and D300. Ended up having Tom Woods hook me up with a two piece shaft with carrier bearing. It seemed to work pretty well. Not a cheap option though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts