Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that wanted a full-on new cage for his TJ so he came down this weekend and what follows is what was created.

There are a lot of design elements in there that had to be factored in so anything that makes you say "I wonder why they did that" has a reason behind it. The basic design came from a beautiful work of art that BlueTorchFab did on a YJ and I have seen some others that were similar so we are not claiming to be setting the world on fire with originality, but a good design is worth emulating.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
Looks kick ass.. If you were closer, Id have you build me a cage! I see you learned to only post your work after its completed, because people can be assholes about uncompleted work :laughing: Killer cage.
Scott

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Looks killer man! :smokin:

I gotta question though... How hard would it be to add in from the main hoop to the downbars and spreaders for the seats?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JEEP_TJ_FREAK said:
Looks killer man! :smokin:

I gotta question though... How hard would it be to add in from the main hoop to the downbars and spreaders for the seats?
Good call--that is one of the things left to do because we ran out of time. We also want to run a tube right on top of the dash and a grab handle at the windshield joints on each side.

purdy but looks like a lot of faux triangulation.
Faux triangulation...that is a good one. I think we can credit you with the invention of that term. When you are at the mall tonight tell the other web-wheelers that you made up a funny term on the interweb last night. :rolleyes:

I see you learned to only post your work after its completed, because people can be assholes
Po' riggity, you got that right! :laughing:

:smokin:

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bushwhacker said:
Looks nice but why no bar across the back?
Not needed. Look at the design and imagine applying an inward force right where the C-pillar bends to meet the B-pillar in the center--that joint is in tension from the tube that runs from just below the bend to the node on the B-pillar where the stringer is, forming faux triangulation .

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
looks damn nice.

do you not hit your head on the triangulation directly above the seats though, seems that you would?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Killer design concepts and execution, bar none!
I want to incorportate many of it's elements into my next cage. :)

P&T Jeeps said:
looks damn nice.
do you not hit your head on the triangulation directly above the seats though, seems that you would?
But this would be one of my first concerns ... and I'm short!
A simple V is very stout!

JEEP_TJ_FREAK said:
I'm curious to know how you'd apply FREAK's suggestion.

P.S. Your planned across dash bar really stiffened up my last cage ... and saved my neck in a violent roll. Before it was added my A hoop tweaked over from a couple of soft rolls but didn't budge during a really hard tumble after it was added.

Again, ... killer job! :beer: That new JP alumumum tub I just hauled home want's one like that!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re-reading Freak's comments I realized that he meant a diagonal from the B-pillar down towards the center of the floor, between the seats, correct? If so we are not going to look at that right now as the owner of the Jeep will be doing Mastercrafts in about a year and we will see what we can do when we tie the seats into the cage. Right now he wanted a much safer system than what the Jeep left the factory with, which I think is very much the case.
For the tube above the head, it is only 1.75" lower than the soft top and he has never hit the soft top when wheeling so he felt that he would be OK with that, especially once it is padded. I agree. When the Mastercrafts and harnesses go in there should be no chance of hitting the tubes even in a complete rollover.

Good comments, though. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
What, you didn't roll him over and see if his slid down in his seat and kronk'd his noggin? That's faux design. :laughing:

That looks excellent. I'm sure some of those elements will make it in my cage. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Nice work Zach.
I like the A pillar down tubes through the dash,(you know what I think about the bolt on design at the A pillar).
Very nice design and fabrication.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I hope that future plans don't call for mounting a shoulder harness to the horizontal member behind the seats as it is has the potential to result in a serious spinal injury. Please go to the Scrhoth website and ready about mounting of harnesses. Especially those of you thinking about copying this cage design.

Anchor Points
Intensive research and experience in motor sport has lead to modernized instructions for optimised anchor point location. The SCHROTH development of new racing harness configurations has to be considered
when defining new anchoring instructions. What was considered OK ten years ago has to be up-dated with the current knowledge. Optimized HANS use in the future also depends on HANS compatible anchor point
locations.
The sanctioning body regulating your motor sport series may have additional information specific to your chassis. We will be happy to provide you with detailed information, descriptions and formulas to calculate
optimized anchorage of the different racing harness configurations at the variations of seating positions. These can also be obtained from our web site www.schroth.com, section Racing. We ask the mechanics, teams and race car manufacturers to carefully read and heed this information.

© SCHROTH Safety Products GmbH
Examine optimised Shoulder Strap Anchorages
A Guideline
by Carl J. Schroth, July 2002
This guideline is written with the author’s best knowledge at date of issue,
incorporating experience from dynamic testing, driver fit trials and real world accident analysis. Some alternative data already reflect the intent use of HANS.
This document refers to the shoulder strap anchorage location and angularity to achieve optimal strap guidance. The data and results from formulas herein need to be verified for each cockpit, seat, and HANS design as well as for the individual driver and his seating position.
1) Shoulder strap attachment height
Strap routing behind the shoulder should be horizontal. For application w/o HANS a downward routing up to 20° is acceptable. Strap length behind the seat back should not exceed 750 mm. If HANS is in use, the anchorages must be raised by the thickness of HANS at shoulder points. The strap routing must be horizontal. If a downward routing can not be avoided maximum 20° are acceptable. The strap length behind the seat should not exceed 200 mm.
2) Shoulder strap attachment distance
To ensure proper strap routing also during a forward crash and for better lateral stability it is recommended to narrow the shoulder strap attachment (Y) relative to the webbing distance at neck area (Z). The distance between the individual anchor points will vary as the width of the HANS does and the distance of the anchor points from the driver’s shoulder points vary.
The following Figures show the limits and give references how to use the calculation formula.
# 990148
Installation w/o HANS use Installation for HANS use
© SCHROTH Safety Products
Variables:
X = Distance from Shoulder Points to attachment. Take measure from the highest shoulder point (on top of the HANS warn)
Z = Distance mid to mid of webbing at Shoulder Point
Y = Approximate distance between anchor points. (measured mid to mid of webbing at anchor point)
Formula: Y = Z - (X * 0,40)
A negative result indicates a need for shoulder belts to cross over behind driver seat.
For HANS systems SCHROTH recommends the use of 50mm webbing shoulder harnesses (accepted by FIA, NASCAR, CART to be used with HANS) since such design allows more narrow anchorage location. To get the benefits
from using 50 mm webbing appropriate anchorage design is essential In
particular in open wheel race cars.
3) Angularity
Y
15° ±3°
In open wheel race cars an approximate angularity of 15o ±3o is recommended as
shown in the sketch above. The optimal angle is influenced by the driver’s shoulder
shape or HANS shape as applicable.
75 mm Shoulder Harness w/o HANS
Anchorage distance approx. 200 mm
50 mm Shoulder Harness w/ HANS
Anchorage distance approx. 170 mm
For further information call:
SCHROTH Safety Products GmbH, P.O. Box 2440, 59714 ARNSBERG, GERMANY
Phone: +49-2932-9742-13, FAX: -9742-59, [email protected]
www.schroth.com

·
Registered
492 Posts
zachv said:
Good call--that is one of the things left to do because we ran out of time. We also want to run a tube right on top of the dash and a grab handle at the windshield joints on each side.

Faux triangulation...that is a good one. I think we can credit you with the invention of that term. When you are at the mall tonight tell the other web-wheelers that you made up a funny term on the interweb last night. :rolleyes:

Po' riggity, you got that right! :laughing:

:smokin:
sorry my $.02 got your panties in a wad. You must have done much better in your civil engineering classes than me. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Looks like a good side hit will let it fold over.

Or a front hit for that matter.

IMHO

I do love the way it looks though

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Taso Stambolis said:
sorry my $.02 got your panties in a wad. You must have done much better in your civil engineering classes than me. :flipoff2:
What the fuck would civil engineering have to do with a roll cage? :rolleyes:
Are you trying to make sure that it drains properly to the Storm Drain system or are you just trying to maintain ADA requirements. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts