Pirate 4x4 banner

301 - 320 of 854 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
our site is in the process of changing servers so the gallery is down at the moment. I will post the link up when the gallery is back up.

thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
here is mine...
built by Matt Tofflemoyer at Get Bent Kustoms
click pics for full size images.

accepts factory and bikini tops, and is built out of 1.75" and 1.5" .120 wall dom. the v in the windshield is 1" by .095 dom

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Why do so many people not do the lower B-to-C-pillar bars on full cages?? Most C-pillar frame tie-ins do not have forward strength so when you lay the Jeep into something in the back the C-pillar just crushes forward. Tubes at the belt line of the tub would transfer much of that load into the forward structure.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Why do so many people not do the lower B-to-C-pillar bars on full cages?? Most C-pillar frame tie-ins do not have forward strength so when you lay the Jeep into something in the back the C-pillar just crushes forward. Tubes at the belt line of the tub would transfer much of that load into the forward structure.

Wouldn't that effect the use of the full soft (hardware) for those of us that still have one?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Wouldn't that effect the use of the full soft (hardware) for those of us that still have one?
Throw a 20 degree bend in the tube at the B-pillar and they fit the stock TJ hardware just fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well I have read this thread with interest before I started my cage.
Lots of different ideas. We had quite a challenge on our hands as I set
out the plans for my cage the builder. There were alot of "must have" items
I listed. The main reason for this was that the Jeep is a daily driver and a social wheeler as well as a competition truck. TJ's have the amazing ability to transform themselves completely. ALmost like a transvestite. (did I just liken my tj to a transvestite) idiot.
Anyway I am sure you all know what I mean.
IE: FAmily getaway = HArd top,hard doors, roofrack, smaller tyres, etc..
Social wheeler = Bikini top 1/2 doors/no doors, windshield down, harness's, bigger tyres etc.
Comp mode = Bikini top, 1/2 hard doors, hard roof panel, harness's, rear seats out, wilderness rack, you get the picture.
So the cage has to comply with the government road traffic authority as well as the event scrutineers/ engineers.
So if you havnt already guessed this raised a few issues.
The main one was the cross brace has to be a perfect "X" and the taxi (harness) bar has to be a certain height according to seat position. To run the rear seats with a big crossbrace infront of the rear passengers was never going to be allowed by the law so it had to be removable. Had to make sure there were no sharp object remaining in the Jeep on the main hoop where passengers could hurt themselves too. So we inserted crush sleeves allover the cage corners and ends to be able to tie in a ccrossbrace. Didnt that take some time with over 28 required for the job. That doesnt include the seatbelt and window frame ones. Because I still want to be able to run the rear seats I need to be able to remount the rear seatbelts. So the rear stays have to at some point end up exactly where the factory position is for the seatbelts in order to keep the engineer happy. But the race scrutineers want the rear stays to be dead straight from the main hoop to the rear of the body. No bends. So that meant two sets of rear stays. I also wanted a taxi bar on the front hoop accross the dash. But it cant obstruct the vision. SO it has to sit very low almost behind the dash. Well the dash has been modified to accomidate this request. It was also modified to accomidate a rule that the front main legs can only have one bend in them and there is a maximum distance that the cage is allowed to sit away from the body. They want it real tight in the car. So we cut away the dash corners and past the cage through the dash down to the floor. I also want intrusion bars across the doors but they are not allowed to be above the lowest point of the seat cushion. We can accomidate that i think. Yet to be done. As are the the mounts for factory doo window frames and soft top. A few more full days on it and it should be done. Great thing about the TJ is you can make the cage in the car then pull the whole lot out to paint it or powder coat it and then bolt it all back in.
Sooner rather than later hopefully I will post up pics of when its done.

This is how it sits at the moment.
Just have the soft top stretched and fitted in place with straps to get the factory tight soft top fit.
Cheers.
PS your not seeing things. My jeep is a lemon. They put the steering wheel on the wrong side. DIngbats.

Do you have any pics of how the cage mounts to the frame? And where it runs through the floor?

·
Registered
157 Posts
does anyone run a bar from their Apillar through the firewall into the engine cage/tubing? having problems figuring out how to fully weld it once i have it all together.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Got a used bender a couple weeks ago and went crazy. :smokin: Still need to do up seat bars, a to b, b to c, c to c, etc. but that can wait a little while. Huge thanks to this thread and Bender's 101. Also have a pile of pics in my build thread if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
does anyone run a bar from their Apillar through the firewall into the engine cage/tubing? having problems figuring out how to fully weld it once i have it all together.
I have the same problem

In another thread someone suggested cutting a hole in the side of body to make the weld, then patching the hole. I was able to weld at least half the tube, but to make it stronger I am thinking about welding a gusset on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
they are already done. seat mount for pass too. then a harbess bar and center traigulation. those pics were taken before it was completed.

here is the bar and the cross bracing.
these were taken back in august about 3 days before i left for college.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
not a tj but its still a cage to add.

cage wasnt about being pretty i was trying to keep a much space in my dd as possible.

more pictures on the Precision Chassis Works website.
Not my favorite looking cage. But the fit and welding are freaking sick.:smokin:

·
Registered
197 Posts
not a tj but its still a cage to add.

cage wasnt about being pretty i was trying to keep a much space in my dd as possible.

more pictures on the Precision Chassis Works website.

Those are some of the nicest looking welds I've seen. Nice work.

301 - 320 of 854 Posts