Pirate 4x4 banner

421 - 440 of 854 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Copperhead, if I ever decide to move from tube and build a Jeep again...I'm cloning your junk!:laughing: I've read that build thread end to end multiple times and can't believe how great it turned out.:smokin:
Thanks alot. It was alot of fun building it and I love the finished product. Im ready to beat on it now :smokin:

·
Registered
660 Posts
newb question but im confused by this b,c,a pillar stuff. can some one please show some pics or explain this:homer:
When you hear about A,B,C,D pillars they are the vertical bars and correspond as follows.

A pillar= vertical bar at the windshield
B pillar= vertical bar behind the front seats
C pillar= vertical bar behind the second row seats/back of YJ/TJ
D pillar= vertical bar at the back of a four door SUV like an XJ

·
Registered
520 Posts
got a quick question, getting ready to start my cage in my TJ. heres what i have designed, minus harness bar and cross bar. going into a dd tj

I dont have access to a 1.75 die so im having the a-pillar built by atoz. I really want a brow and plan on making the windshield easily removable for wheelin.

my question is, would it be a problem to cut and weld the brow, or should i pay to have it bent by a to z? its a well supported node with the middle spreader and the two V bars so my gut says it should be fine, but thought Id ask before i put in my order? only problem with having them build it is ive already bought the steel for it and dont want to buy any extra...

Edit: going into this
Quick question for you guys - - I am about to build this style cage in my tj. I understand the the spreader bars from the c to b pillar gives extra lateral strength but would you say that they are a necessity? Would the cage be strong enough without?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I understand the the spreader bars from the c to b pillar gives extra lateral strength but would you say that they are a necessity? Would the cage be strong enough without?
Can you not fit them? If you tie the cage in at all pillars it helps a bunch, but the C-pillars take a bunch of load in a cartwheel and the connections spread the load. I try to put them in every full cage we do. I have seen rigs without them that a hard roll has pushed the tub forward at the C-pillar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had this one made for my YJ...But thought I would share it as it was inspired from this thread....Goal was to keep the back seat usable for Kids as well as any Adults that dare to climb back there...Front seats are tied into the cage and it is all made from 1.75" .120 wall DOM, Grap handles are all 1.25" dia tube. Also works with Hardtop as well as the soft top (Bow rods do however need to be unbolted, they don't just fold down)

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Is the back seat siting on the floor or is it elevated by a support structure? It looks high but it could be the head rest making it seem that way.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Looking for advice. I know I need upper B to lower c, lower b to lower c, lower c to lower c across the back. Then I plan to add a harness bar and go from mid harness upwards with a V to the two mid bars, and maybe down towards the lower B pillar floor mounts.

Am I missing any other weak points that need addressed?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
They are fugly but only on the diagonal bars, the rest were by a good welder. I know they need grinding out and redone since my welding has improved.

I am asking more about strength via triangulation/bracing. I know some of the welds need grinded out and redone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Who did the work?^^
He goes by Fabricator on www.Greatlakes4x4.com
He is on here as well but I'm not sure of his screen name

Is the back seat siting on the floor or is it elevated by a support structure? It looks high but it could be the head rest making it seem that way.
Yea it's the head rests that make it look higher than it is. Wasn't sure I liked how the seat looked at first. But they are great to sit in and I feel that the kids are safer when back there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Can you not fit them? If you tie the cage in at all pillars it helps a bunch, but the C-pillars take a bunch of load in a cartwheel and the connections spread the load. I try to put them in every full cage we do. I have seen rigs without them that a hard roll has pushed the tub forward at the C-pillar.
I could fit them - - I just don't like the looks... I was planning on running tube from mid b to lower c on both sides and a "x" or at least a shoulder bar behind the driver seats... It is not only for looks but I also need a place to fit a spare when needed. I would like to be able to lay it flat over the fuel cell...
What do you think???

Thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
Why do so many people not do the lower B-to-C-pillar bars on full cages?? Most C-pillar frame tie-ins do not have forward strength so when you lay the Jeep into something in the back the C-pillar just crushes forward. Tubes at the belt line of the tub would transfer much of that load into the forward structure.
Zach - is this something that you would consider offering? I didnt see anything on your webpage.....

421 - 440 of 854 Posts