Pirate 4x4 banner

841 - 854 of 854 Posts

·
P.B.A.
4,328 Posts
Is this a Yj tub? Are you going to use a yj windshield?
I'm building a cage in my YJ right now, I plan on using the TJ plastic door surrounds and tj upper doors with yj lowers, but I didn't know how well it meshed together with a YJ windshield. I plan on using a wrap around wind jammer for a tj and a yj bikini top. Kind of a custom cab top so to speak.

Also, since I'm here, my cage is mostly all tacked together, and I have an X brace in the B pillar, but in a moment of weakness(brain fart) I ran the cross bar from the top node to 6 inches above the bottom of the b pillar. I did this to make it easier to weld (the cage isnt gonna be able to be removed the welding will have to be done in the tub).
In hindsight im worried about essentially nullifying the x brace by not having it meet the floor node. This isn't a race jeep and it's not going to have to pass inspection, but what do you guys think?
Sorry I did t see your response. Here’s a thread where I document and lj/tj tip on Cj/yj. The angle on the doer opening is the same. The tj/lj windshield is leaned back more. Hence why it’s fatter at the bottom of the windshield frame. From what I’ve read the tj door “hoop” for the window is about 1/2” taller and that’s what refelects with how my Cj doors meet with door surrounds.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-non-hardcore/2682664-lj-soft-top-dimensions-needed-please.html

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
@ZSavage81,

Rig looks great and obviously works. But that B-pillar X would keep me up at night not being connected to the B-pillar itself and having all those bend in it.

The X is the only thing that gives the B-pillar any strength.

I was kind of in the same boat with my JK. Ended up doing a double B-pillar just to have the X with no bends in it.

DSC09250.jpg

DSC09376.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

·
Registered
564 Posts
Rig looks great and obviously works. But that B-pillar X would keep me up at night not being connected to the B-pillar itself and having all those bend in it.
Your kidding right? That cage is so overkill you'd never have to worry about anything. Most race cars have a lot less
cage than that.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
564 Posts
So what. Everything has room for improvement. His comments were valid.
My point is I think sometimes we forget that these are generally slow speed rollovers, we are not crashing at 200mph. And most cages we all build here are so overkill that it boarders on the side of rediculous, even for a 200mph crash. I'm guilty of it too, so I think you missed my point. :)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
My point is I think sometimes we forget that these are generally slow speed rollovers, we are not crashing at 200mph. And most cages we all build here are so overkill that it boarders on the side of rediculous, even for a 200mph crash. I'm guilty of it too, so I think you missed my point. :)
My point is simply that we don't always get to pick when/where we roll.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sweet cage!

I like the gussets between b and c pillar. Im bending up my cage now and love all the ideas on this form.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Bringing this one back. I am in the process of picking up a TJ that has a somewhat "fugly" and tall cage in it that I need to either modify or cut out and start over on. I'm thinking that modifying it is probably my preference. Picture of the current cage is attached below.

I was thinking about cutting the A Pillars right below the top of the windshield frame and then doing the same for the B Pillar and completely removing the C-Pillar/rest of the cage. Then running a single tube from the A to the B and then diving down to the C position. Then mimicking the Poison Spider Cage for the rest of it. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I was thinking about cutting the A Pillars right below the top of the windshield frame and then doing the same for the B Pillar and completely removing the C-Pillar/rest of the cage. Then running a single tube from the A to the B and then diving down to the C position. Then mimicking the Poison Spider Cage for the rest of it. Thoughts?

That’s kind of what I did. I used the constraints of fitting with and OEM soft top and hardtop.

·
NERD
8,563 Posts
I'll try to grab better pics, but I run a soft top and door surrounds on my cage. I had to trim the surrounds at the front mount slightly, but they just kinda "sit" there on the cage. It works for wheeling and light weather. My better half stole my full doors for her TJ so I have a hot sloppy mess of a top and doors situation now. My A pillar to C pillar is all 1 piece with 1.75x.120 tube bent with a 6.5" CLR. I shoved the bend as close to the windshield as possible to get enough room for the door surrounds.

Attachments

841 - 854 of 854 Posts