Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This cage was designed using BendTech Pro. The goal was to design and build a cage that was like no other and one that would be difficult to build without using BendTech Pro. This cage was not designed to be the safest or strongest. It was designed to be eye catching and unique. 81.25' of 1.75x.120 DOM was used. The feet sandwich the "unibody like" portion of the body using a 1/4" plate under the tub.
To give example of what the software can do the tube that runs from the passenger floorboard, up through the dash, bending 3 times and changing angle rotation twice ending up behind the drivers seat...is 13' long. There is plenty of headroom for anyone up to 6'6" in height. Tell me what you think!

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
It is "eye catching" for sure. Maybe jsut a few small tube gussets up front - but then again the floor would probably give before the cage. How long did it take to design it on bend tech pro?

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
it looks like what alot of my cages would have looked like had i stuck with the original design that i laid up in autocad...

...clutered, with alot of unecessary tubes that look good on paper, but realy serve little pupose once you actually see them in place on the rig.

i've
laid up 10-15 cages in autocad and bendtech. and not a single one of them ended up the same once i got steel in hand.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Budd said:
It is "eye catching" for sure. Maybe jsut a few small tube gussets up front - but then again the floor would probably give before the cage. How long did it take to design it on bend tech pro?
The software is slightly less than self-explanatory but Chris is always there to answer questions and give advice. One slight flaw in the program is it tells you the cut length of each part but fails to add extra length if the bend is in the very end of the tube. So add 6" to every part that the bend is in the very end like harness bars or like my B pillars. It took me about 4 hours of reading and tinkering to be able to confidently use the program. I spent about 3 more hours designing the cage.

·
Registered
772 Posts
so whats the point if the cage isnt built to be "safe" just built to be eye catching doesnt that kinda make you like one of the mall crawlers??? hmm:shaking:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zukfreak56 said:
so whats the point if the cage isnt built to be "safe" just built to be eye catching doesnt that kinda make you like one of the mall crawlers??? hmm:shaking:
No one said "it isnt built to be safe". Did you go to school in Arkansas?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
definitely different. bendtech pro seems to be getting used for some cool looking bends.

(sorry I had to)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
i think its pretty obnoxious. eye catching yes.... eye catching as wtf why in the hell would someone do that.

i dont think it comes down to how difficult and complex something is vs how it functions and how it looks and flows. i really dont see any "flow" in that cage. it looks like someone said ok lets bend this way and kick taht way over there to make it look all jacked up and people will be like whoooohhh wow thats some crazy shit. you will get that reaction from the ju'ers but the guys building cages and buggies are probably like eh whatever waste of tube.

here is where we seee the difference between the guys who build something with subtle lines and the wacked out stuff. I would much rather walk up to a buggy or a show car or anything and see flowing lines and details that really make you go wow that was attention to detail.

not impressed.... good effort just not impressed.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sceep said:
it looks like what alot of my cages would have looked like had i stuck with the original design that i laid up in autocad...

...clutered, with alot of unecessary tubes that look good on paper, but realy serve little pupose once you actually see them in place on the rig.

i've
laid up 10-15 cages in autocad and bendtech. and not a single one of them ended up the same once i got steel in hand.
Mine is exactly like the design...I didn't cut corners because it was easier anywhere. If anyone wants the assembly file I'd gladly send it. :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Pat98TJ said:
No one said "it isnt built to be safe". Did you go to school in Arkansas?:flipoff2:
actually if you read your first post and the end of the second line and start of the third your the one who said its not built to be the safest... i do like it though not saying it sucks just what is the point of a cage if its not built to be the safest it possibly can be...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
zukfreak56 said:
actually if you read your first post and the end of the second line and start of the third your the one who said its not built to be the safest... i do like it though not saying it sucks just what is the point of a cage if its not built to be the safest it possibly can be...
thanks glad you pointed that out, funny tryin to make someone look stupid but it come around and bites him in the butt.
at least that jeep is way overbuilt for what wheelin it does:eek:
good design though. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
biggreentj said:
thanks glad you pointed that out, funny tryin to make someone look stupid but it come around and bites him in the butt.
at least that jeep is way overbuilt for what wheelin it does:eek:
good design though. :flipoff2:
Your mother still sucks doggy cawks...didn't you get banned from about 10 Jeep forums Drew?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
haha, nope i left that oag when all those others left it for how it was being ran.
i have no hard feelings pat, but i guess you do. its all in the past right?

·
Registered
629 Posts
the only thing that would REALLY bother me would be the 2 front bars in front of the windshield. i would have done 1 vertical bar, but that's just me. the 2 are probably better for protection or something, but i just wouldn't be able to deal with them there. it would drive me nuts.

i do like that you tried something different though.

·
11,307 Posts
pat, looks great. I think the rear area I would have changed a bit, it seems you lost some head room if you ever have anyone in the back, without actually making it much stronger than if you had moved a bit to the sides (the last B to C pillars). Otherwise I totally dig it! Very eye catching, great job!

Gui

1 - 20 of 129 Posts