Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim Peterson here in Farmingon is really cook'in up a really sweet cage design for my TJ.
Here's a peek ...

This rear frame tie in is unique ...

And he's building the front 'unibody' tie in strong enough to come back after a hard (endo) bounce ...

No shucks, damn he's good ...

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Jaffer said:
Jim Peterson here in Farmingon is really cook'in up a really sweet cage design for my TJ.
Here's a peek ...

I really hope that this part is not finished...that will fold in a second. :eek:

·
Registered
982 Posts
looks nice, i like the rear tie in, i have been talkin about doin that, just haven't gotten my rig to my buddy's place to bend the tube, but thats how i'm doin mine

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Jaffer,
The rear tie in, is very similar to my old set up. The only difference was I brought my down bars down just inside the body at the rear bed openings. Then they attached to the gussetts that connected my rear bumper which was intergrated to the frame rails (to support he rearward shackle hangers). And yes it was a VERY STRONG design. with a well tested history(more than I like to admit).
The entire project is looking good, when do you plan on having it ready to point up hill, for testing?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
GirlfriendYJ-
The design calls for a removable tub, so of the six cage base points the foreward pair will be attached to the front super structure tube work via sandwich plates at the firewall, the mid-ship points will sandwich to heavy steel boatsides welded to the top of the frame and angled to the rockers and the rear points will ancor to the rear frame/bumper pair.
As you may be able to see, the forward end of the tube boarder for the flattie style fender bolts onto the radiator hoop ... the whole fender with it's inner well is likewise remove/replacable.
It's going to be strictly for comps plus hard play so there won't be any top, doors, or heater.

Jeff-
I'm glad you agree it is a very strong design concept.
The trick to going wholely outside the tub was was to push the body a couple of inches foreward so the down sloping rear cage rails would tie into solid frame with an integrated rectangular steel bumper.
Ken Blume may be able to pick up my near finished HP 60 axels from Wagoner Machine and bring them to Farmington for UROC weekend after next if the timing works out. That very generous offer still looks like a go ...
Like you, I also have a full time job to tend to and a passel of employees to ride heard on.
The cage, seating and dash work should be further along by then but there is no target date for completion.
It's not going to be a feather weight but it will have a low CG and we are trying to build it to be harder to break.
The 35 spline 60's, TH350, and Atlas on 35" or 36" Mod-Stock treads and strong chassis work should hold up pretty well.

DasJeep-
It is always a good thing and to document a project.
There is nothing better than show and tell to help others.
That is the real purpose of these on-line boards.

You bet, High5. I'll keep on a'postin ...

The weather turned purdy here today. Spring is here.
I worked on then tooled around in the blue "Princess" this afternoon and I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of ya'll come Farmington way. It's going to be a jam packed season!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts