Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I just took apart my 97 TJ with a 4.0 tonight and found out why I couldn't shift into any gear while the Jeep was running. I knew it was transmission related, so i just started tearing it all down. Here's what I found.

This is how the throw out bearing came out of the bell housing!

Clutch disc warped, cracked, and missing half of it's clamping material on one side.

Here's a completely destroyed Center Force II.

So...the question is...what should I replace it with? I've searched on ebay and located some clutches. I found a center force OEM replacement for 126 bucks shipped with everything. However, I heard bad things about Center force clutches (they seem to lose counter balance weights) and now im weary. I can get an OEM replacement from O'Reilly's for 130 with everything also.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've heard some great things about SPEC. That's the route I think I'm going to take. I've been looking at their stage 2 kit.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I heard that an OEM clutch should be fine with only 190hp and 225ft/lbs of torque, a stock clutch should survive. I have some 1 tons in mind and a tire ranging from 39-44's in about a year or so.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm following the Carnage Clutch fix thread in the non hardcore section. He put in a clutch that I just took out.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yeah, LUK clutch has always been good to me in my junk. you don't need a racing centerforce for a DD/crawler jeep:flipoff2:

just buy the complete kit.....prolly around $200+. check the internet, i got mine for a good price at pep boys here in tucson.

make sure you get the flywheel re-surfaced. that only runs under $40 at your local parts house (they send it out).

replace the pilot bearing/bushing too while you are in there.

good to go

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rockrnockr the FSM on TJ's specifically says not to resurface the flywheel. It says to scuff it with an emory cloth. I'll try Luk, I hope O'Reilly's here in OK can get one because my cousin works at one and gets me everything at his cost which equals super fawking cheap. :flipoff2:

It wont be DD for long! shit! :evil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts