Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know about putting tj coils in the rear of a sidekick?????? will they fit, how much lift will they give, are they to stiff, or too soft, ect...... talk to me, i would rather longer coils than spacers......
-Mike:flipoff2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the TJ coils will fit, A guy I knew in ontario did a SAS on his wifes track/kick and ran cherokee coils in the rear. He was running 33's with a little rubbing.

I don't know if the cherokee coils are taller than the Tj coils but I think they are the same dia.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
mud-magnet said:
anyone know about putting tj coils in the rear of a sidekick?????? will they fit, how much lift will they give, are they to stiff, or too soft, ect...... talk to me, i would rather longer coils than spacers......
-Mike:flipoff2:
What do you mean "will they fit"? Will they just swap in there? Then No, they won't fit.
Can they be made fit? (Most likely the case with the "guy from Ontario")? Yes, anything can be made fit.

Are you just lifting this thing or going SAS?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm staying ifs for now, i'm a college student and only home till the 4th so i jut want a few inches till i finish college....... i hate driving things that are origanal.....:flipoff2: ....... and for the rear i don't really want to run spacers so i want longer coils......
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
i think they are too big in diameter xj is closer but they still rub the frame, youll be at about 5-6" of lift making your d-shaft pull out of the yoke

i plan on running a 3" spacer on stock xj coils to fit 37s in the rear

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Look into, now, get this: Chevette front coils...
Should give you couple of inches of lift (very similar in diameter to stock rear, a bit stiffer though) and are nice and cheap for the college student junk yard budget.
I have no idea what to use up front for the budget lift...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where am i going to find grand vitara parts though.......lol
and chevette front coils...... any idea on how much longer????

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
mud-magnet said:
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly they were 2-2.5 inches longer then stock. Of course once they compress you lose some of that, but then again they were a bit stiffer then stock, so all in all they give about 1.5 or 2 inches of lift.
For budget tricks, May I suggest a poly cutting board you can steal from your wife. They come in 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Very easy to cut and you can make a small spacer anywhere between 1/4 to an inch, (as you can stack 2 together if you wish). Put them right under the upper spring mount between the metal and the rubber ring that goes on the bump stop.

·
Registered
571 Posts
mud-magnet said:
From a GV owner who added a lift kit, or from a yard, as they are 6 years old now.

Chevettes my de doable in the south and west, but most were rusted and crushed a decade ago in the rust belt.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Yes, they do fit! Make sure that if you get TJ coils, that you get the FRONT coils for the TJ, and not the rear. The rears are too big in diameter.

ALLLRight....

Here's some specs for you all! The springs are measured at their longest point:

Stock 4 Door Rear Springs are ~11"

The Calmini rear springs that come with the 2" lift are ~13 1/4"

OEM Front Jeep TJ Springs are ~15 1/2"

BDS 2" Front Lifted Jeep TJ Springs are ~ 17 1/2"

If you use Jeep TJ Springs, the FRONT ones are what you use on the BACK of our Track/Kicks.

Here are some comparison shots:

Stock, Calmini, OEM Jeep:

OEM Jeep versus BDS 2" Lifted:

YOU WILL need to put one end of the TJ coils into a press and squeeze it just a bit smaller to fit around the spring cup on the axle.

We run the BDS 2" lifted springs on our 4 door.. and they work great. They are a little stiff, but flex well, and we have a huge heavy bumper on the back so it's compensated. The ride on my truck is great. The OEM jeep TJ springs I would recommend, however. I don't think they'd be too stiff on a 2 door.

Heather

·
Registered
571 Posts
Stock 4-dr GV springs are 13"~ front and 14" rear.

Struts and shocks are longer to boot.

Everything is direct bolt-in.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Chevette coils

If you find the chevette coils too soft (wich you might) Then get the 'Chevette Diesel coils" They give you a heavier coil due to the added weight of the diesel.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the help guys, i'll have a set of 4 tj coils in he next couple of days, my buddy ditched his stock ones for 4" lifted ones so his stockers are zuki material.......:D
i'll let you all know how things go as i get going.....
thanks again,
-Mike

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what about the chevette coils in the front of the kick???? with a spacer and run the tj's in the rear???? everything is ready to go right now if i want to run 3" spacers all around but i would rather lnger coils for that added flex.....
-Mike

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
mud-magnet said:
what about the chevette coils in the front of the kick???? with a spacer and run the tj's in the rear???? everything is ready to go right now if i want to run 3" spacers all around but i would rather lnger coils for that added flex.....
-Mike
The Chevette coils are great in the front of the Kick -when you have the IFS swapped out, that is.
That's what I'm running in the SAS front end. Their added stiffnes and height compensates nicely for the added weight of HD bumpers and such and diving under braking/cornering (road manners).

I doubt they would be stiff enough for the IFS application as the factory IFS setup in a kick is a counter-leaver set up and requires a 400pounds plus spring rate. Compare that to a solid axle (stock rear) spring rate of 150 or so....

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, thanks........ i'll just stick with spacers for the front then and new coils in the back........
:flipoff2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts