Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to possibly cut the rear fenders out and moe the axle back atleast 6" or so.

Of course the tank will need to be raised also

Anyone done this have ideas or pointers?

I considered swapping to leafs, but I'd have to extend the frame most likely.

Thanks!

Nick

·
Registered
81 Posts
same here

im in the process of it right now. Of course on a YJ though. dont have any idea out coils. Im just welding a 2X3 bumper on the rear frame. Remounting the stock spring perch's and hanging shackles off the rear bumper. should get about 8" or so. You will have to move the gas tank and either put it in the back or cut a hole in hte back and counter sink it. good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually thought of mounting shackles to the bumper like you said.

I mean if the bumper is on there solid, what's the difference in mounting to that or extending the frame to mount it?

What leafs you using? I'm assuming they are SOA? Whats the distance from the rear eye to the axle mounting location?

I'd like some ideas on the coils also, I thought about possible moving them to the inside of the frame rails... not sure though.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Short of cutting out the rear floor or moving the tank above the floor, you won't be able to tuck the stock tank high enough to have any semblance of uptravel.

cmk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking either raising it up through the floor for running a fuel cell.

Probably raising up the tank through the floor and boxing it in around the kilby skid.

·
Registered
207 Posts
gas tank

Doing the same thing on my TJ. I'm moving the rear axle back 7-8" and moving the gas tank to the very front of the rear floor area. I cut the 18" x 35" hole through the floor this weekend. I'll post pics soon if your interested. My gas tank will actually protrude into the body about 8-9". I'll box it in with sheet metal and weld it water tight. One problem with this is that it's gong to make my exhaust very tight. I wanted to put the tank there though because I didn't want to have to reach over that "hump" to get at anything whenever I open the rear tailgate.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That makes sense on the tank position, I was always thinking haing it right against the tail gate area.

What size tires are you running?

Pics would br great!

Are you keeping in the coils? How will you mount them? The arms and shocks aree the easy part. Will you go triangulated uppers and ditch the track bar?

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haven't moved the axle yet but I have moved the tank to the rear of the tub. Fits perfectly and the lines just have to be rebent a little to fit. The lines also fit through the factory plug hole already in the tub. To protect the tank and hold it in place, I just flipped my skid plate over, fabbed up some long studs on short side of skid and the long side fits flush, couple screw and yer good.

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
Ive done it on my TJ.. stretched the wheelbase out to 103". I cut out the entire rear floor and moved the gas tank just behind the seats using a new tank mount, and 1.5" wide , 16 gauge metal
straps to hold it down to the new mount. I have a 4 link rear with triangulated uppers.. i think the total i moved the rear axle back was 9"... this setupo works good for me.. if you have any more questions , feel free to ask and ill go into more detail.

HTH

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TrasJeeper-WTO, do you have any pics of your setup, flipping the skid is a good idea.

Azzy2000, more detail would be great, some pics would be good to so I can get an even better idea. Sounds like you did exactly what I'm thinking. You still running the coils? What size tires you running?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I too would like to see some pictures, Azzy2000. When I redo it... I'll be moving my tank forward to behind the seats. Seemed like a good idea at the time to just move it up, but moving it forward will make things more..um... comfortable. Plan is still to move the axle back, but I want to do it on a new axle and I can't afford that right now. :)

Paul

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why do you say your setup is uncomfortable?

I think I'll be running my 8.8" for a while :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
NAS-NAS said:
Why do you say your setup is uncomfortable?

It's just a dumb use of the space - have to reach over it when loading and unloading. Moving the weight to center would probably be nice too. Only reason I haven't done it is time - other projects (and parts of life) have been more important. And... sounds dumb but I don't know where I want to put the filler yet. :flipoff2:

Paul

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
NAS-NAS said:

Azzy2000, more detail would be great, some pics would be good to so I can get an even better idea. Sounds like you did exactly what I'm thinking. You still running the coils? What size tires you running?

Thanks!
Still running coils, yes. 42" TSL's . Im sorry i dont have any pics online right now, i dont have a scanner.. This would be much eaasier to explain if i did ;) but ill give it a shot.

the coils are located just inside the frame rails now, about center with the big upward bend in the TJ frame. above the upper coil pads i have a 2x4 rec. crossmember going across the mounts, welded to the mounts and the frame rails. my gas tank straps ( 1.5" wide , 16 gauge steel ) are bolted down to this for the rear attachment. my center limit strap also runs off of it. the floor is cout out from the tailgate to the where the sheetmetal actually drops down. The gas tank , 16 gallon stock unit, fits perfect between the rear crossmember and where the sheetmetal goes down. it ended up being sunk about 6" down below where the stock floor was. With the 16 gallon tank in there you can fit a 3 foot long section of 3/4"x3/4"x1/8"thick angle down each side of the tank with a hairs clearance between the tank and inner fenderwell and theyre perfect length also. these form rails on the side for a box to be built off of. shit.. im not sure what else to tell ya except my fingers are tired :D If you have any more questions let me know... i may have forgot something. i have some pics, im gonna try to get them scanned on here so i can actually show you what the hell im trying so hard to explain...

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
nasvik said:
I too would like to see some pictures, Azzy2000. When I redo it... I'll be moving my tank forward to behind the seats. Seemed like a good idea at the time to just move it up, but moving it forward will make things more..um... comfortable. Plan is still to move the axle back, but I want to do it on a new axle and I can't afford that right now. :)

Paul
Im working on getting some pics up.. ill let ya know. I remember looking at your pics when you relocated the gas tank.. it turned out real nice. It is nice to not have to reach over the damn thing though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya pics would be awesome. I had the idea of putting them to the inside of the frame like that also. I think I see what you're saying on the cross member and the coil pads.

One question. did it interfere with the body mounts at all?

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
NAS-NAS said:
Ya pics would be awesome. I had the idea of putting them to the inside of the frame like that also. I think I see what you're saying on the cross member and the coil pads.

One question. did it interfere with the body mounts at all?
Nope.. didnt mess any of MY body mounts up... but then again im missing a few that i used to have. I think there were 2 under the rear floor that bolted to the original rear crossmemeber? Its been a while.. anyways, yes, it will interfere with those, but it really doesnt matter much... since you wont have a floor if you do it the way i did.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm using 44044 springs on mine and going SUA on mine - moving the axle back approx 6.5" and keeping the mounts on the frame. I used YJ spring mounts and off-set the perch for the axle 1.5"

BTW: the body lift is down to 1.5" now. :D
I cut a hole in the floor in the back for the gas tank and had a 3/16" plate bent up for the skid/bucket. The bottom sits 5" below the floor.

Now I'm working on boxing in the tank. Not much progress yet, but it'll be 1/8" deckplate with a rack on top.

Chuck

1 - 20 of 72 Posts