Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, Im kinda new to jeeps, I have a 03 tj dd/weekend warrior.
I remember several years ago selling a fullwidth dana 44 to some guy who said he wanted it for the knuckles to do a lockout conversion on an xj, I never gave it another thought but now I am...
I have searched, the only thing im coming up with to do a lockout swap on a dana 30 is cutting the c's off a cj 30 NOT GONNA DO THAT!
Also am I not gonna spend a grand on a conversion kit, Ill just swap in a dana 44.
So on to the point, is there a way to use factory parts off something else to get lockouts on a dana 30 in a tj?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have searched, the only thing im coming up with to do a lockout swap on a dana 30 is cutting the c's off a cj 30 NOT GONNA DO THAT!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I said nothing about a cj d30..... Just weld some lockout hubs on it then.

You need to cut your Cs off or buy the knuckles from reid wich isnt cheap. 270 a side. Then uses chevy outers

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i saw the reid knuckles, if there is no way to do the swap cheaply ill just hunt me up a waggy 44 for the bucket list lol

·
Registered
479 Posts
Search: CJ7 inner knuckles with Ford F150 outer knuckles. Will need the Ford stubs as well to fit the stronger D44 inner hubs.

Wally

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why would i want lockouts? better gas mileage on road..the ability to run a front spool on the road. NO MORE UNIT BEARINGS! Mainly the gas mileage though.. my old tired yj with the 258 and the disconect front axle got as good or better gas mileage with the same size tires and my tj that 14 years newer, the only good reasoning for this I can come up with is that everything in the front of the tj is spinning at all times.
I know for a fact, older trucks that came from the factory with full time 4x4 (think the same set up as the tj has, transfer case would go to 2wd but all of the front stuff turned all the time) would see a 20-25% improvement in fuel mileage by installing lock out hubs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
why would i want lockouts? better gas mileage on road..the ability to run a front spool on the road. NO MORE UNIT BEARINGS! Mainly the gas mileage though.. my old tired yj with the 258 and the disconect front axle got as good or better gas mileage with the same size tires and my tj that 14 years newer, the only good reasoning for this I can come up with is that everything in the front of the tj is spinning at all times.
I know for a fact, older trucks that came from the factory with full time 4x4 (think the same set up as the tj has, transfer case would go to 2wd but all of the front stuff turned all the time) would see a 20-25% improvement in fuel mileage by installing lock out hubs.
If you search (here or maybe over on JF) there are people that have lock out hubs in TJs for other reasons (some valid, some not) and if there is any improvement at all it is less than 5%. Basically rounding error that you can dwarf one way or the other with driving style. With what it would cost you to do it will take many, many years to make it even break even.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Please don't use the argument of wanting to run a spool in a Dana 30. It destroys your credibility and validates our judgement of your lack of capital letters at the beginning of sentences.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
haha, the spool was merely used as an example. Since we are on the subject, why not? Do they even make one? I had a brief moment where I was thinking I was wheeling with a real axle lol
I try to work on my grammar from time to time also, Give me another 20 years or so and I may be back to the level I was at high school lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gas mileage is the dumbest reason for lock out hubs. You'll see a .0000000000000000000001 increase in MPG.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts