Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I got bored and decided to dove tail / tube the rear frame. I searched and could not find anything on a TJ dove tail so I thought why not try and post up! So here are the pics and progess of my first dove tail.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ah, come on, who's gonna chop off the back half of thier junk like that?

you'd have to be mad.....:D

looks good so far, keep cuttin........:grinpimp:
Yeah that is what my wife is saying!!! :flipoff2:

Your build did not help me at with this decision!!! Thanks is all I can say!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You may want to try a coarser sawzall blade and slow your blade speed down and you'll go through a lot fewer blades and cut way faster. The HAZ kills blades quickly too.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You may want to try a coarser sawzall blade and slow your blade speed down and you'll go through a lot fewer blades and cut way faster. The HAZ kills blades quickly too.
I'll try slowing down the speed to see if that helps out, but I am addicted to speed so it will be hard! :D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Buy the lenox bi-metal with a high TPI . I can cut off a back half with one pack. Looking good so far. I have done 2 dovetailed jeeps. I enjoy cutting all that sheet metal off.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
18tpi or higher works best. No experience with lennox, but get the non "torch" blades from Milwaukee and they work awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Buy the lenox bi-metal with a high TPI . I can cut off a back half with one pack. Looking good so far. I have done 2 dovetailed jeeps. I enjoy cutting all that sheet metal off.
The blades cut well, but dull really quickly.

18tpi or higher works best. No experience with lennox, but get the non "torch" blades from Milwaukee and they work awesome.
I believe they are 14 TPI, but I get them free so I am not too concerned about burning through them!

I should start tonight on cutting the wheel wells out and roughing out the actual dove tail. My thought is not to add material in the center of the tub, but to bend the curve to match the rear of the tub.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If you're going to buy more blades, Milwaukee ICE edge blades last a long time.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
and concentrate the cutting force on more than just 1 spot on the blade. it'll last forever as long as you keep moving it around, etc. heat and speed will also kill the blade really quick.

But, TJ is looking good.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Now that the tech on Saw Saz blades is over here are a couple more pics! :flipoff2: I left 1 inch of material all the way around in order to attach the new fender once all is complete. I will drill 1/4" holes and then spot weld the inner fender back in place.

Attachments

·
Mr. DJ
20,847 Posts
nice, for what it's worth one of the things i don't like about mine is all the heat i get from not having a bed anymore. the faster i go the more heat i get. i will be fixing this but thought i'd tell ya.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice, for what it's worth one of the things i don't like about mine is all the heat i get from not have a bed anymore. the faster i go the more heat i get. i will be fixing this but thought i'd tell ya.
Thanks for the info, I am keeping the bed and fabricating new wheel wells. I want to keep the back functional for tools and Beer!

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here is my plan, I am going to finish up the body work and then bend/cut my exisitng 3/16 comp cut corners to match the dove tail. This will give the sides more stability plus I will tie them into the roll cage once built.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm liking it! What are your plans for your inner fenders?
I am going to pick up some sheet metal and basically fab some up. I still have to complete the rear frame section with tube so the inner fenders will be last.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that with this mod the rear is losing 12"

1 - 20 of 308 Posts