Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've searched as much as I can, but I can't find anything that is TJ specific. My 4 banger has seen better days, and is actually now in a few pieces. I'm just wondering if anyone has swapped out a TJ engine anmd what they have put in it's place. I was thinking about an AMC 360 to keep it all Jeep, but after looking into parts costs, I decided that a Ford 5.0 (double my displacement) or a Chevy 305/350 would probably be about the same trouble as far as the initial swap would go, but less expensive when something goes wrong. Also, what can I do about the AX5 when I put in a Ford or Chevy V8. A Ford T18 or Chevy NP465 or NV4500 would be ok, since it won't see much street driving after all this.

Also, would it be as much trouble or more to get a little bit kustom and find a wrecked GC V8 and swap that in. Not sure about what tranny would go in behind it.

I'd kind of like to keep the 231 for now and put a 4:1 kit in and go Atlas in a few years when I recover from all this initial cost.

I know the D35 won't hold up, but there's more in store as far as the axles go.

OK, any good information is very much appreciated, so flame on boys.....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah...not so much
well, it may be, but I honestly haven't ever had someone open up my hood to even look at anything. The last time I got my Jeep inspected the guy got in to drive it around the block while the guy in the office was already filling out the sticker from the information on my insurance card...:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
BurrRabbit97 said:
OK, I've searched as much as I can, but I can't find anything that is TJ specific. My 4 banger has seen better days, and is actually now in a few pieces. I'm just wondering if anyone has swapped out a TJ engine anmd what they have put in it's place. I was thinking about an AMC 360 to keep it all Jeep, but after looking into parts costs, I decided that a Ford 5.0 (double my displacement) or a Chevy 305/350 would probably be about the same trouble as far as the initial swap would go, but less expensive when something goes wrong. Also, what can I do about the AX5 when I put in a Ford or Chevy V8. A Ford T18 or Chevy NP465 or NV4500 would be ok, since it won't see much street driving after all this.

Also, would it be as much trouble or more to get a little bit kustom and find a wrecked GC V8 and swap that in. Not sure about what tranny would go in behind it.

I'd kind of like to keep the 231 for now and put a 4:1 kit in and go Atlas in a few years when I recover from all this initial cost.

I know the D35 won't hold up, but there's more in store as far as the axles go.

OK, any good information is very much appreciated, so flame on boys.....
Ease of use.. probably a TBI.. just less crap everywhere..

AX-5... Big paperweight..

For transmission.. what do you like.. do you like the low crawl or a overdrive..?? Is driveline length going to be an issue..

Do you like automatics?

Dont waste the money on the 231.. sell it as is.. recoup a little money and go atlas or for a little cheaper... flipped dana 300 with a 4-1 kit

Ultimatly.. go atlas, but figure out if your going to run a passenger side 60 or 44.. or a driverside..

the tranny behind a newer GC is a AW-4 4speed automatic i believe.. a very nice transmission.. its mated to the 4.7l v-8.. also another nice motor..

Its just really preference on what you want to spend and how much work you want to do

·
Registered
25 Posts
You should just have to pass a saftey inspection in Texas.

There are an infinite number of engine/tranny combinations. Since you mention both keeping and possibly ditching the AX5, it's hard to make any recommendations. So, I'll go on the assumption that you will keep the AX5:

You have a few engine options if you want to retain the AX5 tranny. You can swap in one of several Chevy V8 motors and get a full bellhousing from Advance Adapters (P/N 712565) to mate the AX5 / NP231 to the new engine. Advance Adapters also offers motor mounts and radiators to accommodate a Chevy V8 in a TJ. There are other fab shops that offer similar products, AA just the best one-stop-shop example I could think of.

As for Chevy engine choices, an LT1 swap works really well in a TJ. Of course, this all depends on your budget. You could also swap in a 4.0L if you don't have to have a V8. While you are doing all of this- do make to sure to swap out the D35 rear.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
lots of bad info here:

the grand cherokees had AW-4 trannies behind some of the 4.0L and 42RH and 42RE behind other 4.0L. the 318 GC's had a the 42 RE. the new 4.7L GC's have the new 45RE.

DC has been having some problems with the 4.7L...i'd stay away from it

the AW-4 and 42's are fairly long trannies. you may have rear driveshaft length problems.

i'd look for a FI mustang or F-150 5.0L, and a T-18, and run an atlas or NP 231.

or, a FI chevy v-8, 4x4 chevy truck 4spd, NP 231

or, a Magnum 360, NV 4500, and Nv 241 hd out of a newer RAM

matt

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would lean towards ditching the NP231 (sell it) and get a D300. I think it would hold up alot better to a 5.0, especially if you can't go Atlas until later.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jeepnmatt said:
lots of bad info here:

the grand cherokees had AW-4 trannies behind some of the 4.0L and 42RH and 42RE behind other 4.0L. the 318 GC's had a the 42 RE. the new 4.7L GC's have the new 45RE.

DC has been having some problems with the 4.7L...i'd stay away from it

the AW-4 and 42's are fairly long trannies. you may have rear driveshaft length problems.

i'd look for a FI mustang or F-150 5.0L, and a T-18, and run an atlas or NP 231.

or, a FI chevy v-8, 4x4 chevy truck 4spd, NP 231

or, a Magnum 360, NV 4500, and Nv 241 hd out of a newer RAM

matt

Thanks for the info on GC engine/tranny combos. I figured there would be problems with swapping in anything Jeep-related now that I've dealt with mine for a few years.

The Mustang 5.0 HO would be ideal if I can find one. A truck would be great too. I think I may have a line on a Ford T18 for a hundred bucks or so, so that could be my starting point. Like I said, I want to keep the 231 for now unless I can find a D300 for cheap and do the flip kit. That will be a decision made after I find an engine and tranny, then I can think about what to do about my t-case.

If I happen to find a wrecked Dodge truck with a 5 speed and a V8, I would be quite happy with taking the drivetrain out and swapping it all in as is.

Thanks for the info so far, I'm sure there are more opinions out there, so keep it coming.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been through a few ax-5's with a 4cyl and 31's.

Your wasting a lot of money if you hook one to a V8.
I know you didn't say you would, but just in case :)

I agree, you have to know what your gonna use it for first, and then go from there. A whole drivetrain from another vehicle would simplify things, and is a lot cheaper then getting into adapters.

David

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, was doing some thinking over a few cold ones...

if I find a Ford T18 and get a Mustang 5.0, which vehicle would I need the bellhousing from? should I go ahead and get the truck bellhousing and try to get one with the engine or is there a specific one that I would have to find?

Also, does AA have the saddle style engine mounts for most any enigne?

Thanks for all the info....

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
You would need a truck bellhousing and flywheel if I"m not mistaken. I"m pretty sure any 5.0 you find out of a mustang would have had an auto behind it. Do a search theres lots of info out there on this site. Advance Adapters is also a great source of knowledge when it comes to engine and tranny swaps. Good luck

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so talking Ford swap...

I could, if I can find all the shit, get a Mustang engine (What year is best, and what kind of fuel injection did they have, I don't know much about them?) and bolt it to a truck bellhousing with a truck T18 and get an adapter or whatever for my t-case.

What wiring harness and computer would I use, the one out of the truck with the truck's computer, or the one out of the mustang? The reason I ask is that the Mustang comp would be prgrammed for an auto tranny, while the tranny I would have would be a manual. Also, how much of the harness would I need and how would it tie into the existing Jeep crap?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just look at these links:
http://www.bc4x4.com/chrisw/projects/powertrain/powertrain.asp
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2002/np435d20/
http://www.angelfire.com/wi/mikeswwwsite/tranny.html
http://www.chadlloyd.rockcrawler.com/Tech/tranny.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45309&highlight=totw+5.0

I am planning my own 5.0 HO swap. I'm planning on replacing the whole driveline. I've currently got a T18 & NP435 tranny (not sure which I'll use yet) and a dana 20 from an eb. Still looking for the right engine. I've got a dana 60 rear and my 44 front is in the works. My personal preference is to upgrade everything else before adding the high hp/torque into the equation.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd just look for a 4.0 since you haven't upgraded your axles, tranny or transfer case.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT going through the trouble of an engine swap to get another TJ engine with two more cylinders. Thanks for the websites though. If I do this, my engine/tranny/tcase are coming out first, then before I even order driveshafts, the axles will be taken care of. I don't like how DC built my Jeep, but it's what I have, so I plan to build it like they should have...:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put a TPI 355 chevy/sm465/np205/D60's combo into my tj last year. It's a lot of work and there was a lot of down time but after getting the bugs worked out I'm pretty happy with it. I started by clearing up the wireing harness only keeping the stuff I needed to run the electronics on the jeep and sending the old computer and wireing with the motor. Then just run a seperate harness for your new motor. Worked great and have no problems with it. You will need a new gage panel (I used auto meters I put into a panel in the stock location). With the Sm465 combo my shifter comes out directly under my dash where the old Air bag controler used to be so that took some creative bending. Lots of other details to think about too.
Does it wheel any better than it used too? Not really, actually the 60's hold me up a lot more than my old axles but I do feel a lot better about not breaking stuff when you need it to hold up.
Dave (Sounds a lot better too)

·
Registered
413 Posts
BurrRabbit97 said:
If I do this, my engine/tranny/tcase are coming out first, then before I even order driveshafts, the axles will be taken care of.
Good luck to you. I don't have the time to completely swap out an engine, tranny, tc, and front and rear axles at the same time. You are more man than I. Better get the check book ready. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I have another vehicle to drive, and it'll be a slow change. I will probably take a couple months out of next summer to do it, but hopefully I can get it done without too much trouble.

I actually got my 4 cyl running again, so I may do the axles and suspension first (possibly over Christmas) and then wait to do the engine/tranny/t-case next summer.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
if you are still looking to keep it all jeep (or even not) check www.car-parts.com for everything. I just looked under dodge 2500 5.9 and came up with a hit on a 98 ZJ 5.9 w/ trans (auto) and t-case for $1450 w/ only 28k miles.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Engine 5.9L,AT 4X4,28K $1450 02-76 Morrow Motors, Inc. 1-800-333-7202 E-mail USA-NC

not sure about shipping though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I went with a 318 out of a GC and a NV3500 from a V8 dakotta. All of that bolts up to an AltasII turning some high pinion D60's. It works out well...and for the most part I can say it still has a lot of Jeep in it. :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
BurrRabbit97 said:
OK, so talking Ford swap...

What wiring harness and computer would I use, the one out of the truck with the truck's computer, or the one out of the mustang? The reason I ask is that the Mustang comp would be prgrammed for an auto tranny, while the tranny I would have would be a manual. Also, how much of the harness would I need and how would it tie into the existing Jeep crap?
Why not take a little time and look for a 5.0 that had a 5spd? I had a 93 GT with a 5spd. Also I know that a good # of the 5.0 LX had the 5 spd... This way it would be a Mustang comp programed for a manual. I know there out there. Mine ended up in a junk yard.... The kid I sold it to rolled it. The kid was fine the car was a total loss.:(

Just MHO

1 - 20 of 31 Posts