Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about ordering a set of 2.5x14 inch 3 tube bypasses for the rear.

It's a TJ, with Artec rear frame kit, 65 inch WMS rear axle, 3.75 backspaced 17*9 wheels with 37s.

Anyone able to fit bypasses inside the rail on an axle this (not) wide? Or can someone measure how much that second, outside compression tube stands out off of the main shock body?

Thanks for the help!

PS: These are 35s on 4.5 inch backspaced wheels I'm using for mockup. Not a ton of room when I flex up the full 14 inches.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I dont have a measurment for you But if you can fit a coilover in there without interference you should be able to fit a bypass. You and order them with the tubes and res. Fitting in any place.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Mount them on the backside of the axle with the coilover on top. Bypass needs to travel as much as possible at all times to use it effectively.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Mount them on the backside of the axle with the coilover on top. Bypass needs to travel as much as possible at all times to use it effectively.
I'd actually mount the bypass on top of the axle and coilover off the front. This will gain you a little more travel. Also a 2.5" bypass will be larger and longer than a 2.0 coilover. How ever you mount them. Just make sure the bypass uses all of it's travel. Both at bump and full.

I have 2.5" in the rear. Have about the same frame clearance, but have a 68" wms with 4.75" wheels. Has a lot of room on 37's. Just barely clears on 40's. My math sucks:D but I think that gives me about 1/2" more clearance on each side than you would.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'd actually mount the bypass on top of the axle and coilover off the front. This will gain you a little more travel. Also a 2.5" bypass will be larger and longer than a 2.0 coilover. How ever you mount them. Just make sure the bypass uses all of it's travel. Both at bump and full.

I have 2.5" in the rear. Have about the same frame clearance, but have a 68" wms with 4.75" wheels. Has a lot of room on 37's. Just barely clears on 40's. My math sucks:D but I think that gives me about 1/2" more clearance on each side than you would.
How would you gain more travel? Both shocks are the same length then it wouldnt matter. With the c/o on the side of the axle it will travel more than the bypass. It would be limiting the bypass then, right? The c/o should be a coil carrier or min shimming at the most. If the bypass doesnt travel enough, it wont move through all the zones. Look a trailing arms. The bypass will be close to the axle vs the c/o. It travels more then.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
How would you gain more travel? Both shocks are the same length then it wouldnt matter. With the c/o on the side of the axle it will travel more than the bypass. It would be limiting the bypass then, right? The c/o should be a coil carrier or min shimming at the most. If the bypass doesnt travel enough, it wont move through all the zones. Look a trailing arms. The bypass will be close to the axle vs the c/o. It travels more then.
The shocks are traveling on a radius. The closer they are to the pivet point the more travel you will get. The shock furthest from the pivot will travel the most (bypass shock). You can mess with the travel numbers a little with link placement, but that start to mess with pinion angles.

·
Registered
674 Posts
How? When the c/o stretches all the way out there will be travel left in the bypass if the bypass is on top and the c/o on the side of the axle. I understand the arc in reference to travel. Well unless you mount the the two at different heights at the top mounting point, at which point off setting mount points it doesnt matter where each one mounts.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
How? When the c/o stretches all the way out there will be travel left in the bypass if the bypass is on top and the c/o on the side of the axle. I understand the arc in reference to travel. Well unless you mount the the two at different heights at the top mounting point, at which point off setting mount points it doesnt matter where each one mounts.
Take a look at the pic. The coilover is mounted in front of the bypass. At full bump the bypass and coilover bottom at the same time. At full extension the bypass is fully extented and the coilover still has travel left, about 1/2".

Don't mind the shims. Their there to keep the 40's out of fenders when trail riding:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Do you have a picture of the top mounting points? Bypass mounted higher or they the same?
Bypass has to be higher. The 2.5" bypass is about 2" longer than the 2.0" coilover. That's with the shorter eyelets.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Hurley. I think the bypass is going to only be .5 inch larger than the 2.0 coilover.

I'm mounting the coilover towards the front of the axle, with the bypass off the rear using Ruffstuff's Monster mounts. Just need to order the bypases themselves, haha! May be a month so I can get all the little things done to get on the trail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts