Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a buddy with a 2002 TJ with Auto Tranny. He bent his front driveshaft on a run and needs something replacing it. Around here, no one has Wranglers in the junkyards at all... was wondering if there was something out of another vehicle that would work. If not, I was just going to hit up car-part.com, but they seem to want an arm and leg; local U-pull has them for $6.99... :grinpimp:

I am going to head out this weekend with the tape measure, but figured I would ask here in noob first to make life a little easier. I tried some search terms, but didn't coming up with anything useful on Pirate or Google. As always, some better search terms to get me headed the right way is always appreciated as well.

TIA.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If it is just bent but the rest is good go ahead and get it retubed. Mine was only $120 to retube and it is good as new. A direct swap is tough, I have heard rumors about explorer and XJ, but the Tj has a 2 inch diameter cv shaft for the front. If you don't retube it, cut it up and send me the ends. It would make a killer trail repair kit.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Explorer and XJ was what I was going to measure this weekend and see... anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The main concern is also not just the measurement but also what size u-joint it uses. I think the explorer is a 1330 and the tj/xj are 1310s. So if you went with an explorer you would have to get a 1310/1330 ujoint.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can't remember if it's too long or too short, but an XJ driveshaft will not bolt directly in.

If the CV and slip yoke end are salvageable just have it retubed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts