Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(EDIT: this is part 1 of my stretch projects. the rear can be found HERE)

A few pics of my holiday project.... Stretching the front 5", so far so good. Beware, this is my first true welding project so don't bash the welds, they did get MUCH better towards the end, I can see truly see the puddle now. :D Most of them are simply tacks and my professional welding buddy will go back and reweld the life threating & high stress areas (steering box/lower control arms).

Hopefully I can get back to town next weekend and finish it up...

CROSSMEMBER OFF:

AXLE OFF:

FRAME CLEAN:

NEW STEERING BOX MOUNT #1:

NEW STEERING BOX MOUNT #2:

LOWER C-ARM NOTCHED (1-3/4" .250 WALL DOM):

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
LOWER C-ARM #2:

AXLE CLEANED UP:

APPROX. AXLE PLACEMENT:

MY BIG ASS SHOP I WORK OUT OF!!!:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sweet. You just gotta have a cinder block in a buildup pic. It just wouldn't be the same without it.

:D

You have to place it better though next time. Hide the jackstands.

·
Registered
366 Posts
OK, I'm a little lost here. I understand your moving the axle forward, but isn't it easier to move the rear backwards to lengthen the wheelbase? Or are you planning on doing both?
Full hydro steering also??

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's your welder more than anything. A bottle of gas would do wonders for your welding abillity instead of the flux core. You might not have enough voltage in that welder for the steering box mount. I am glad you are having someone else go over your welds because they need it:D

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I knew this would be a weld hammer fest! that's cool though, got to start somewhere! :D

camojeep - sure moving the back is easier, but it is already 4-linked and out works the front way too much already. if I lengthen it first the front won't have to do any work...so much for a balanced suspension. by lengthening the front first my first my c-arms will be longer than the rears then when I stretch the back they will be very closed to balanced, rather than the other extreme for the mean time as I can't do them both at once.

YETI - nope, 60's go in after I finish and wheel it. I've seen too many guys attempt to do too much at once and either get bogged down or when it's "finished" there are too many problems to troubleshoot. I want to work one thing at a time and iron out each issue that may arise before I tackle the next project. sure it might cost a bit more but it is worth it to me; & a get to wheel b/t each project rather than ride shotgun on trips.....
:D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Adding 5 to the WB buy moving the front out to me seems like a good idea, everybody's got their on ideas about which way to go. The pic of the rig with with the axle in position looks interesting, I like it anyway. Keep us posted W/ pics and what it takes to get it done. And by all means, how it performs before you do the rear.:D

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
P&T Jeeps said:
I knew this would be a weld hammer fest! that's cool though, got to start somewhere! :D

camojeep - sure moving the back is easier, but it is already 4-linked and out works the front way too much already. if I lengthen it first the front won't have to do any work...so much for a balanced suspension. by lengthening the front first my first my c-arms will be longer than the rears then when I stretch the back they will be very closed to balanced, rather than the other extreme for the mean time as I can't do them both at once.
and then there's the improved attack angle

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Nice looking Jeep.

What are you doing with the spring pads? You have to pardon my slowliness :D but are you moving the axle mounted spring pads to the rear?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
yea, I'm moving the spring mount back on the axle using a 1" block as a built in suspension lift then moving the shock to the control arm. much easier than relocating the frame spring mount. you can see the new pad & spring retainer on the ground of the "AXLE CLEANED UP" pic.

also in this pic (another killer weld too, INDY! :flipoff2:):

oh, and one of my helper.........:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
woooh, more pics of your helper please:p ;)

i think it's a good idea, would love to see the end results!

also what welder are you using? like mentioned gas would be very beneficial!

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
cool i was thinking of doing the same thing.

what are you going to do for a bumper? just but weld it on to the frame rails? looks good.

BTW nice welds:flipoff2: :flipoff2: i have seen worse...

1 - 20 of 195 Posts