Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my 4.0 L swap in my 83 cj7. I want to use the fuel pump/ fuel pressure regulator assembly from the donor 98 TJ. What I'm planning to do is to drill a big hole in some flat sheetmetal to fit in the pump assy, then cut the top of my CJ tank and weld the seetmetal/pump assy in my CJ Tank.

Am I missing something ? When I search everybody says that a TJ pump won't go in a CJ tank, which is rignt without mod.

thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
oldp said:
I'm doing my 4.0 L swap in my 83 cj7. I want to use the fuel pump/ fuel pressure regulator assembly from the donor 98 TJ. What I'm planning to do is to drill a big hole in some flat sheetmetal to fit in the pump assy, then cut the top of my CJ tank and weld the seetmetal/pump assy in my CJ Tank.

Am I missing something ? When I search everybody says that a TJ pump won't go in a CJ tank, which is rignt without mod.

thanks for your help
The TJ assembly is an aluminum canister looking arrangement with a spring loaded top to push the pump down into the dimple in the bottom of the tank. It drops into a specific size hole in the top of the tank and is held there with a lock ring and a rubber gasket to seal the tank. The lock ring looks like a big version of a mason jar lid and functions the same way.

I have adapted one of these into a S/S tank before, but it was a real pain to do. I later found out that Aero tank in Corona, with a bit of pummelling may have sold me the threaded section that welds to the top of the tank. I had to re-use the plastic parts from the stock TJ tank and machine clamp rings for them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Other than that, do you see any other reason of why it would not fit ?
Would it fit more easily in a YJ tank ?

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
oldp said:
Thanks,

Other than that, do you see any other reason of why it would not fit ?
Would it fit more easily in a YJ tank ?
Just compress the springs in the canister and that will give you the minimum height you need for the tank depth around it.

I don't know the depth of a YJ tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts