Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna be starting work on a TJ project very soon, it will be a 98 TJ with a chevy 350 with edelbrock EFI, vortec heads; a built 700r4 trans, rear 60(63"wms, 35spline ARB, alloy shafts), front hp44(alloys, arb,...) painless CJ-7 complete vehicle wiring... Im using the build up of project "White Cracker" as my inspriation. I plan on stechin the rear 60 back 4-6in and was wondering about what tank to use. Ive read about the Genright strech tank, but i was wondering if any 1 else has had any experience with any other after market strech tanks. I was also wondering if i had any other options when i came to a fuel tank. I want to keep the tank under the Jeep, in its stock position.

·
Registered
98 jeep TJ 609 axles
1,200 Posts
When I bought my gen right TJ tank there was one other option BTF and it was cheaper. But the deal breaker for me was the extra capacity of the genright, 12 gallons - BTF and 19 gallons - genright.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I have the BTF tank and have no complaints with it.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
BTF tank is 15 gallons, not 12.

Here's some pics of it.

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Joel77 said:
When I bought my gen right TJ tank there was one other option BTF and it was cheaper. But the deal breaker for me was the extra capacity of the genright, 12 gallons - BTF and 19 gallons - genright.

was this under a tj?

I just put 13.9 gallons in mine the other day...unless the pump was lying to me :flipoff2:

Go BTF...love mine, and it was the best priced option for keeping the tank under the jeep

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
chris demartini said:
All those bolt-in stretch TJ tanks are great but a stock Jeep sending unit/pump cannot feed a 350. I say get a 2161 and sink it below the floor.

You sure about that? Do have personal experience with this?

Affordable Fuel Injection thinks otherwise. I am running a TBI BBC and it runs just fine with a YJ stock fuel pump. We had to regulate it down as the jeep pump created too much pressure.

If it doesn't, you can install a 98 Chevy Vortec fuel pump into the jeep sending unit.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grendel said:

Affordable Fuel Injection thinks otherwise. I am running a TBI BBC and it runs just fine with a YJ stock fuel pump. We had to regulate it down as the jeep pump created too much pressure.

If it doesn't, you can install a 98 Chevy Vortec fuel pump into the jeep sending unit.
the edelbrock pro-flow efi setup that i have comes with a fuel pump, the motor wont be heavily built, i wanna push about 350hp, ill try using the factory pump, and if that doesnt work ill go with an after market in tank pump.

·
Registered
98 jeep TJ 609 axles
1,200 Posts
kirbyiv said:
was this under a tj?

I just put 13.9 gallons in mine the other day...unless the pump was lying to me :flipoff2:

Go BTF...love mine, and it was the best priced option for keeping the tank under the jeep
Pardon me guys, I was under the impression it was less. All I can say is on my genright I just finished filling up 19.85 gallons in mine. And I stretched the rear axle back 5.25".

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
Joel77 said:
Pardon me guys, I was under the impression it was less. All I can say is on my genright I just finished filling up 19.85 gallons in mine. And I stretched the rear axle back 5.25".

Cool beans.

I got 15.25 gallons into mine and I stretched my 14B back 7".

6" with springs, 1" with offset perches and plates.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Grendel said:

Yes, I do. Do you?

It may work for you because TBI runs at half the fuel pressure of the MPI system he wants to run. Sure you can drop a different pump on the sender but the 5/16" return line will restrict the system and cause too much pressure at the rail, even with an adj regulator.

It seems easier just to use the appropriate size AN lines, external pump, and the gauge sender that comes with the cell, than to try and mess with the factory sending unit.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
chris demartini said:
Yes, I do. Do you?

It may work for you because TBI runs at half the fuel pressure of the MPI system he wants to run. Sure you can drop a different pump on the sender but the 5/16" return line will restrict the system and cause too much pressure at the rail, even with an adj regulator.

It seems easier just to use the appropriate size AN lines, external pump, and the gauge sender that comes with the cell, than to try and mess with the factory sending unit.

Yes, I do as stated above.

Also, something interesting... they have MPFI in jeeps, too, which use similiar pressures and use different sized fuel lines. :gasp:

I have run a few external pumps and never get the life out of them that an internal pump (read: cooled) does. I'd prefer to find the proper in tank pump that will drive the motor as required.

Like cutting the BTF fuel cell (if required) to fit a later model Chevy sending (if a Jeep drop in won't work) unit in entirely. Which will still work with the Jeep fuel guage because they're both 0-90 ohms.

In my opinion, this would be easier than cutting the floor for the fuel cell you mention, meets his requirements of keeping fumes and risk out of the cab and allow the use of stock parts that can be found anywhere and are generally more reliable.

Yes, he may have to run new fuel line. I would do it anyway, as I had everything else out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
anyone have a price on the Koz tank?

I have been eyeing the genright tanks, but they certainly are proud of them (as they should be, quality looks excellent:smokin: )

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
thanks for the heads up on these tanks, ...still looking at the rci 2161 behind the rear seat

1 - 20 of 26 Posts