Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of pulling the stock 4.0L. I am looking at my wiring harness and i'm a bit confused.

I am planning on removing the jeep computer and running only the Chev PCM (with aftermarket gauges). I still however, want to keep all functions such as headlights, turn signals, horn, brake lights, A/C etc. Looking at the jeep harness, it is damn confusing trying to figure out what I need and what I don't. I am brutal with wiring which is probably why i'm having such a difficult time with this.

From what I can see, the harness comes through the firewall just below the clutch master cylinder, and splits. One leg of it goes to the headlight/turn signal harness, the other follows the top of the firewall over to the passenger side where it splits again, on leg going to C3 on the jeep computer, the other leg going to the fuse panel.

Anyone care to take a stab at how to proceed from here? Do I need to start tearing into the harness or what? I know I don't need the computer to run things like what I mentioned above (lights/AC/etc). Is it worthwhile to just find the wires I need coming through the firewall and cut everything else, then run my own wires to the fuse panel?

I have all the wiring diagrams but as I said.......i have no clue when it comes to this kind of crap. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
612 Posts
The only benefit you will get by splitting apart the stock harness on the Jeep is a cleaner looking install. You can just unplug everything that you are removing (such as the computer and any other electrical parts pertaining to the old motor) and leave the plugs/wires in the Jeep. I personally would remove the entire harness from the Jeep and lay it out somewhere I could compare it to the factory service manual and eliminate all unnecessary wires & plugs from it for the cleanest install possible. Just take the looms off the harness once it's out and trace the wires you don't need, remove them and rewrap the harness with just the necessary wires.

I replied over on Jeepforum also

1 - 3 of 3 Posts