Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to the potential failure of this design in TJ's, due to the lack of a verticle support A pillar to the halo hoop. I looked and looked (forum and www) and could find no more info that apparently currie's rig had a problem with a halo cage failure in a TJ. Call me a newb, flame away (i kinda like being called a fawker :flipoff2: ), but i did my searching and i want some real answers, so here i am...
Flame away :rolleyes: :flipoff2: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
what the hell are you talking about? I think if you really tried you could of worded that worse, but I'm talking some serious effort.

I can't see any direct link between a halo style cage, lack of verticle support, and a TJ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, first of all, i have a halo style cage and i drive a tj,
Next, i am under the impression that halo cages ARE strong under verticle pressure, but the TJ application requires the a-pillar to be bent and come into the halo hoop at a horizontal orientation, as opposed to a verticle one (IE, the legs of a coffee table)
I am also under the impression that this horizontal joining of the A pillar and the halo hoop is the so called "weakest link" and was wondering what everyone's feelings on this were, and its implications in the currie cage failure that i keep on catching wind of..
hope that cleared it all up

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would have gone straight down from the halo. I think that could be a bad point to fail. I remember looking into that with my cage and deciding it was not the best option for a tj. My cage uses legs off the main hoop that come forward and bend down through the dash. If you still want to have a strong cage and be able to use the top latches (which it looks like you do) that is the only way to go.

Looks like your stuck with what you bought now, better than nothing.

Maybe that monster grab handle will help hold it up. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I understand what you're sayin after the pics.
Not ideal the A pillar set up but you have room to improve it. Run a couple windshield centers from the halo to the dash bar like so (/\), it'll help more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the monster grab handle is for my short g/l :flipoff2:
plus, when my rig sits on 38's ,everyone is gonna need all the help they can get :evil:

I was thinking when she goes from a dd to a trailer queen, nix the grab handles all together a run a spreader from the top of the dash to the halo loop as well as the windshield spreaders.
think that would shore it up pretty good?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I posted before the pic was up... I see what your talking about now with the the bend at the top of the A-piller bars. If those grab handles are made out of solid stock I would trust them to add quite a bit of support.

also you could add a gusset like I have so terrably done with paint in this picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
that front cross-bar/windshield bar is waaaay to close to the pass/drivers
head........

not a cage I would want to ride in.

--Sherpa that bar could have been move forward about 5-7"at least.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NE-RokToy said:
I posted before the pic was up... I see what your talking about now with the the bend at the top of the A-piller bars. If those grab handles are made out of solid stock I would trust them to add quite a bit of support.

also you could add a gusset like I have so terrably done with paint in this picture:
they are solid stock, so that is good,
and i love the paint job. if i do one, i will be sure it looks just like that :flipoff2:

SHERPA said:
that front cross-bar/windshield bar is waaaay to close to the pass/drivers
Acutally, in order to keep the soft-top functioning (EI, the latches clearing the bar in order to latch, the bar has to be that far back. The picture is alittle deceiving, there is actually penty of "head clearance" in event of a rollover and any other tramautic event...
thanks for your concern tho :smokin: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
despite some of the comments made about cages of this sort, I have yet to see or hear of a cage like this failing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
rokcrwlrtj said:
My cage uses legs off the main hoop that come forward and bend down through the dash.
Mind postin a pict up?

rokcrwlrtj said:
you would be supprised in what ways and how much your head WILL move around in your rig.
I don't doubt that, luckily i am hard headed :rolleyes: :shaking: :rolleyes:

HotDog! said:
despite some of the comments made about cages of this sort, I have yet to see or hear of a cage like this failing
From what i understand, the Currie rig failed here... Does anyone have any more details/pictures on that?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
my cage ahs plenty of room, and as much as i am going to get flamed for saying this I have hit my head on it before going over none other than a mall speedhump and a slightly faster than normal pace. I an looking into my padding options for the side bars and still being able to use the door surrounds.

Just food for thought, no matter how hard your head is DOM will always win, but what do i know they are your brains to spill on the ground not mine.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
rokcrwlrtj said:
I have hit my head on it before going over none other than a mall speedhump and a slightly faster than normal pace.

Damn! Those speedbumbs can get wicked! watch out for those curbs... they are sick!

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
from what i can see in those last two pics... if its going to fail.. its going to fail where those A pillars bend at the top.. it will fold down.. collapsing the top of the cage... and like stated above.. if you put some supports there you would eliminate that problem... but i wouldnt run that design without supports... and its not so much of being solid stock... but being a straight line.. when they bend the hand holds.. youre not doing any good.. the supports must be straight... henceforth.. trianglization...

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Devil Dog said:
from what i can see in those last two pics... if its going to fail.. its going to fail where those A pillars bend at the top.. it will fold down.. collapsing the top of the cage... and like stated above.. if you put some supports there you would eliminate that problem... but i wouldnt run that design without supports... and its not so much of being solid stock... but being a straight line.. when they bend the hand holds.. youre not doing any good.. the supports must be straight... henceforth.. trianglization...
henceforth why I drew in the little little gussets :flipoff2: I still think gussets are a great idea (otherwise I wouldnt of spent all that time and effort using MS Paint to add them to the picture :laughing: )

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
My CJ's cage was simular to that ...
and the 'A' hoop pushed over a good 4 inches upon my first slightly hard lay over roll.
I strongly suggest you add a couple of long gussets shown here in this Paint pic.
And, if you can fashion in an across dash bar ... even better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Jaffer said:
My CJ's cage was simular to that ...
and the 'A' hoop pushed over a good 4 inches upon my first slightly hard lay over roll.
I strongly suggest you add a couple of long gussets shown here in this Paint pic.
And, if you can fashion in an across dash bar ... even better.
that's how I did my cage. Added the little triangles to the corners to give some side support in a layover and maybe combined with the grab handles will help a little more to support the corner in a endo roll.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts