Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I picked up a 2004 Hemi engine and 45RFE transmission assembly with about 800 miles on it to swap into my 97 TJ. I got a screaming deal ($3000) but no wiring harness (got the ECU but don't know if it had anti-theft). I picked up a 2005 instrument cluster and Squier (Hot Rod Lane) wants $1350 for a complete new harness (no exchange) including the mods to my under dash harness to work with the new cluster. However I also bought a 2004 under dash harness and a check on car-parts.com shows a bunch of engine / transmission harnesses available pretty cheap (~$250). I understand that there's different harnesses and computer setups for the different years - I believe mine has just the one ECU to control both the engine and transmission. I was an electrical engineer in a past life so I'm not afraid of tracing out (more than) a few circuits and have worked with the weatherpak-style connectors (I even have the double-crimp tool). This swap is nothing new at this point, so I'm hoping some of you who've been through this can share a few tips about things like motormounts, exhaust (will the truck manifolds work), and the drive-by-wire throttle. Any tips you guys can give me would be very much appreciated!

Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
They just did a complete write up on this exact swap in a 4 wheel mag. 4 wheeler or Petersons I believe. It was done on the "Teal J". AEV, I have heard will not help out much if at all, but Teraflex (i think), has a complete kit and can help you out, motor mounts the drive by wire and the harness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've seen all the write ups (in print and online) including the Detroit Locker flatfender and the AEV ("they want how much?!!!"). They all pretty much say "call so-and-so for a custom harness." I emailed Teraflex but never heard back from them. The Teal J article mentions having to use Grand Cherokee manifolds to "fit between the TJ frame rails," but the truck manifolds are log-style and seem pretty compact to me - they just exit straight back so I'm wondering if firewall interference is the issue.

I've seen at least one write-up on a 5.9 swap into a TJ that suggests just buying the FSM for the truck and the TJ and splicing the two harnesses together, but they stress having the complete truck harness to begin with. And I'm a little worried about this anti-theft thing - the guy I got the engine from doesn't know the VIN of the vehicle it came out of. I can always buy another computer, but then my deal starts to evaporate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
theckel said:
Thanks, I've seen all the write ups (in print and online) including the Detroit Locker flatfender and the AEV ("they want how much?!!!"). They all pretty much say "call so-and-so for a custom harness." I emailed Teraflex but never heard back from them. The Teal J article mentions having to use Grand Cherokee manifolds to "fit between the TJ frame rails," but the truck manifolds are log-style and seem pretty compact to me - they just exit straight back so I'm wondering if firewall interference is the issue.

I've seen at least one write-up on a 5.9 swap into a TJ that suggests just buying the FSM for the truck and the TJ and splicing the two harnesses together, but they stress having the complete truck harness to begin with. And I'm a little worried about this anti-theft thing - the guy I got the engine from doesn't know the VIN of the vehicle it came out of. I can always buy another computer, but then my deal starts to evaporate.

I did the 5.2 swap in my jeep. It fits great but a hemi would be nice. Maybe in the next unlimited build. Give Rob at http://www.atomic4x4.com/ a call. He used to work for AA and was the original person that did the 5.2 swap in the JP magazine. He opened his own shop in Texas. He is doing this swap right now in a couple jeeps. He might be able to help you. He said he was using Teraflexs harness but was going to do his own later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
I think the problem with the anti theft was in the grand cherokees, but I may be wrong on that one. You might be safe with other makes dodge 1500, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bulfrog3 said:
I did the 5.2 swap in my jeep. It fits great but a hemi would be nice. Maybe in the next unlimited build. Give Rob at http://www.atomic4x4.com/ a call. He used to work for AA and was the original person that did the 5.2 swap in the JP magazine. He opened his own shop in Texas. He is doing this swap right now in a couple jeeps. He might be able to help you. He said he was using Teraflexs harness but was going to do his own later.
Yeah I came across their web site last week - thanks, I'll give them call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,826 Posts
Hope this helps...
I saw one of the AEV TJs with the Hemi in it. Ran into the crew from AEV while on the trail. They had just delivered this TJ to a customer and were on a shake down run. The engineers from AEV were there as well. I got to talking to them about the conversion. They said that they will only use the truck version of the Hemi, the Jeep version won't fit between the frame because of the accessory layout on the front of the block. They made all of the their own motor mounts, trans x-members, etc. Very clean. I also remember something about having to reprogram the ecu to work with the TJ instrument cluster and other controls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kaiser5 said:
Hope this helps...
I saw one of the AEV TJs with the Hemi in it. Ran into the crew from AEV while on the trail. They had just delivered this TJ to a customer and were on a shake down run. The engineers from AEV were there as well. I got to talking to them about the conversion. They said that they will only use the truck version of the Hemi, the Jeep version won't fit between the frame because of the accessory layout on the front of the block. They made all of the their own motor mounts, trans x-members, etc. Very clean. I also remember something about having to reprogram the ecu to work with the TJ instrument cluster and other controls.
Thanks, that's good input. I don't want to knock AEV, but I get the impression that they're making the swap out to be harder than it really is. They all but insult Squier on their web page, and talk about having to use a custom add-on computer just to run the air conditioning properly (though they admit you can "hot rod" the AC). Obviously these guys are in business to make a profit, but I'm not their typical customer, and I'm not trying to compete with them.

I'd really like to hear from somebody familiar with the Teraflex swap (do they use the Squier harness?), or better yet, someone (like RedBull, perhaps?) with firsthand knowledge of a project like this.
 

·
ROKRAPR
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Well, this thread goes nowhere:(

Doesn't seem like there are many Hemi Swaps in the Ultimate Build Up Thread.

I'm thinking about staying with Mopar for the engine swap on 80 Proof. Seems like it will be just a little more expensive than an 3rd gen SBC swap.

I've been flipping through the TJ builds, but I haven't found any real good info.

Anyone have any good Hemi swap links. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I see you're in Los Gatos....

My swap and the second listed are both CARB certifed and fully California emissions legal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I finished my TJ Hemi project back in January. I also used a '04 truck engine/trans. I bought the motor mount kit from AA, and my Terraflex skid bolted right to the factory Hemi trans mount.
 

·
ROKRAPR
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
I finished my TJ Hemi project back in January. I also used a '04 truck engine/trans. I bought the motor mount kit from AA, and my Terraflex skid bolted right to the factory Hemi trans mount.
Yeah I heard the AA kit is a very nice fit. I'd like to run an NV4500. Nice to know it bolts up with the stock 5.7 trans.

I probably better keep it street legal in Ca. I think it would be funny to pick my daughter up from school in it! The yuppie moms would probably shit themselves. It depends on how complicated the wiring harness is going to be. I really like the sound of 3 wire hook up :D.

I already got my 23 month old daughter running around the house saying "Hemi" My wife asked me what's a Hemi, I replied, "oh nothing:rolleyes:"
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top