Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fixin to narrow up a ford 60 for my TJ,rear is FF60 at 63",what have most been finding to be a good width in the front.running 37"Krawlers on dodge ram alloys.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Don't what the backspacing is on those rims, but I know a few people have narrowed them down to around 64". I was planning on going that route until I said screw it and am now going full width's. I didn't want the added cost of custom shafts.

Ken

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I initally narrowed mine to 63" then had to splice 2" back in b/c it was too narrow; that was w/ 4.5" BS wheels though. That said, the 65" w/ the 1" total of less BS than I was used to (was running 4" on my previous setup) has made me very happy. :D I was very concerned about going too wide which is why I tried the 63" first but I just couldn't turn & there wasn't enough room to fit everything how I wanted.

likely a lot of your questions can be answered in my D60 buildup thread.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm running a 65" 60 up front with 3.75" backspacing and 37" krawlers. Under full compression everything tucks up about perfect even with the stock fenders intact.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree that ~65" for the front seems to work well on the TJ's with the right backspacing on the wheels. I'm a cheap bastard though so I am running mine full width with H2 wheels to help suck it back in some.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
LUVMYTJ said:
63" can be done. It is a bitch though.

64"+ is so much easier.
how the hell would you know?!? :flipoff2:

actually, the better question is where the hell have you been?

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Briscolab said:
I agree that ~65" for the front seems to work well on the TJ's with the right backspacing on the wheels. I'm a cheap bastard though so I am running mine full width with H2 wheels to help suck it back in some.
Do you have pics or measurement's of this setup. That is exactly what I will be running in the near future. Just curious to see how much wider over stock it will be.

Ken

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a 86 HP60 with H2 rims and 40inch MTRs. The outside to outside measurment is just about 80.5 inches.

·
Registered
298 Posts
65" is about perfect but 65-67" is easy to do. Everything lines up real nice & brackets fit better at 65". I cut mine down to 67" to match a 14 bolt & it was a tight fight to get the RE coil mounts welded on. The wider you go the more the drivers side coil mount wants to sit on the center section, that is if you care about keeping the coils straight. Just get a measuring tape & some brackets & figure out how you want it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
P&T Jeeps said:
how the hell would you know?!? :flipoff2:

actually, the better question is where the hell have you been?

Just been lurking in the shadows man. When we gonna get a "run" in ? :smokin:

·
Registered
156 Posts
kpj said:
Do you have pics or measurement's of this setup. That is exactly what I will be running in the near future. Just curious to see how much wider over stock it will be.

Ken
We're putting together a full width Dodge front 60 right now. The Dodge axles are 2" narrower than the Ford's or Chevy's to start. 67 1/2". With military HMMWV wheels with 7" backspacing, we only ended up 75 3/4" extreme outside of tire to extreme outside of tire, or 2 7/8" wider each side, or 5 3/4" total, than our OEM CJ7 narrow track Dana 30. The wide flare will cover.

Our Ford rear 60, full width with the same wheels ended up 73 1/2", or 2 1/4" narrower than the front. Just about perfect. (Stock front axles are 2 1/2" wider than the rear.) Our stock front was 70" and the stock rear was 67 1/2" with 4" b.s. wheels and 37" SSR's. Of course that will vary with wheel backspacing and tires.

Steering presents some challenges with that much backspacing, but WFO is building us some custom double high steer arms that will give perfect Ackermann, and also clear the wheels and tires. Once he gets ours built, I believe Trevor may be adding the design to current offerings.

The only other problem remaining is the hubs sticking out pretty far. Don't see any solution to that though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well I have decided to stay full width,the dodge wheels I have are 6"bs so they look great and I can keep all my axles stock full width and be somewhat narrow.no need for custom length spare axles also

1 - 14 of 14 Posts