Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 tj jeep. 1 inch body lift and 31x10.50s it is a 2.5L 4 bannger. i want to run 35s. will my axles take the beating of that big of a tire. i think i can get more ass out of the motor and with the right gears i think it will do alright off road and it town.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Your axles will last if you drive with a light foot. My friend drove his for 5 yrs on stock axles. If you have lockers, be careful. It can be done. I wouldn't recommend it though, go to a 33" tire and call it good.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
If you don't beat on it too hard you will be fine. If you start popping shafts you can always upgrade to moly shafts. I would say you don't wheel it too hard anyway with a 4 cyl and 31's on it. I would not worry about it. As for going to 35's I think you are going to hate it because of the lack of power. Might consider 33's for that reason.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I wheeled my 2.5 liter TJ for over 5 years with 35'' Baja Claws locked front and rear, You have to VERY easy on the pedal, I broke my first D35c axle 2 weeks ago, Swapped in a Ford 8.8 got disc brakes along with it, I running 4.11 gears just like you, You will be able notice a major lack of power going from 31" tires, I have to wheel in 4low to turn all four tires. I have a gutted cat and Gibson exhaust, headers, Air intake and everything to get a little more power. My next up grade will be 4.88 gears, When I get the $$$$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts