Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but couldn't find much.
I'm thinking of buying a Rubicon, but I'd like to have 35" to 37" on it.
The question is, is any lift better than the others, any I should avoid?
All the long arm lifts ( Teraflex, Skyjacker, Full Traction, Rubicon Express, etc. ) sound good.

·
Registered
732 Posts
To actually answer your question now, for a bolt-on lift, you can't really go wrong with the Rubicon Express long arm lift. Just contact them to make sure it will fit the Rubi. I believe the kit is only good for 35s but they can answer that as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just installed a RE 3.5" short arm kit on my TJ and am very satisfied! I figured it was a good starting point to build from for my Jeep and I just wanted to hit the trails as fast as possible. I'll start fabbing up my own stuff from here out as I break stuff and want to go higher.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I heard a while back that the RE long arm kits wouldn't work with a Rubi. They were supposed to get a hold of one though so they could change / redesign the lift to fit a Rubi. Personally, I run a RE Superflex lift. Mine ran about 1 - 1.5" taller than what the advertised lift was (3.5" actually about 4.5 - 5") For the 37's you'll probably need something in the 5.5"+ range. The lift is real solid, flexes excellent and the shop's just down the street so those were good selling points. Good luck, by the way for the bashers you need to go back and check this thread :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
My neighbor bought the RE 5.5 inch, and loves it. Say's it flexes really nicely. but why are you going to buy a rubicon TJ, only to screw with it? Build, don't buy. The whole purpose of the rubi, was so you could get all of these goodies (t-case, lockers, etc.) in a package, and still have it under warranty. If you start messing with it, you are going to find A.) It would have been cheaper to build than buy. B.) you will know what it takes to put together a rig so that when it breaks on the trail, you can try and fix it. C.) you'll get more respect from serious offroaders. D.) by messing with it, you may void the warranty (check on it though).

·
Registered
57 Posts
My RE 3.5" lift netted more than 3.5" for sure. I agree, always better to build your own than to buy it that way. You will know what you are getting, the quality that went into it, and if it breaks you will have learned how it goes together and have a better chance on fixing it on the trail. I thought having RE in town for me was also a big plus in that I could take my rig to them if sometihng didn't work out or if you just plain broke it wheelin. They love the feedback!

I was told a 4.5" plus a 1" body lift clears 35's no problem. 5.5 + 1 body for 37's. That of course depends on rim width and the tire brand.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just to verify the Rubicon is different because of the skid plate design. The skid plate is part of an essential brace and cannot be removed. i'm sure something could be done custom to make it work. As it stands a RE lift will not work as of this post. It sure sucks how low they mounted the skid plates on those things. You lose a LOT of clearance with them. Other than that a pretty cool expensive vehicle. I'd still get an older TJ if I ever got into the Jeep thing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just helped install a 5.5 inchlong arm kit on a 99 TJ. It comes with a new skid plate and reqiures drilling several new holes in the frame. You also have to relocate the muffler as it is in the way of one of the control arms. We just replaced it with a more narrowed bodied muffler. Don't know about it going on a rubicon.

Tice

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ok........RE does have lifts for the 03 and newer TJ/Rubi's and we have equipped quite a few of them, So if you want answers....click on that sponsor logo in the right hand corner of the board and call me......I will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I want a Rubi cause I've been wheeling for 7 years now and would like to have a warrenty. I spoke to my Dealership and they have no problem with it being lifted as long as a shop does it. Thats fine by me cause I'm sick of wrenching on my Toy after working all week. Yes I know how to build a rig up and I'm not new to this sport, just cause I'm a NEWBIE on this site, but I am new to Jeeps. I've had 2 4Runners and 1 shortbox p/u Toy, all have been locked and lifted.
Anyone want to buy a 85 4runner on 38s?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts