Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed Waggy Dana 44's under my 00 TJ (discs front, drums rear), and as expected the factory MC could not flow enough fluid to the calipers/wheel cylinders. So after a lot of reasearch here on the PBB, I came up with using a 2001( 98-02 are the same) dodge 3500 Pickup MC, it bolts to the TJ booster without mods, seals great and the fittings for the brake lines are the same. The only thing I had to do was get a 1/4'' x1 1/4 '' fine thread bolt and grind down the head, this is the new pushrod, just adjust it until the MC hits the booster at the same time that the pushrod hits the piston in the MC. The only problem is the resiviour makes slight contact with the hood, I don't think it will cause any problems. As for the brakes, AWSOME stops better now than stock, and with far less pedal travel. If someone with a star wants to post the pics just shoot me a PM

TOTAL COST
MC= $ 31.00 (Junkyard)
Bolt=$ .19

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'd like to see some pics. Send them to my e-mail [email protected] and I will post them up for you.

I have an 8.8 with disk brakes and big ford D44 disks in the front. I find myself standing on the brakes. I need to do this!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, I'd like to see some pics also.

2000 Jeep and 199 Dakota same deal? Both Chrysler Products.

Anyway, interested to see how ya did it. I'm faced with spending 150 bucks as it is for a tandem MC from Wildwood.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has the 4.0 but It should not matter.

I have no clue about the Dakota, the best I can do is measure the holes where it bolts to the booster.

I will E-mail the Pics in the AM

·
Registered
442 Posts
Here are the pics.
Couple more questions. I dont understand where the bolt you speak of goes. Can you describe this a little more.
Also I notice you have a 00, do you know if this will work on a 98?

·
Registered
115 Posts
he is talking about the push rod that goes into the booster from the MC's flanged end. It can not be seen when the MC is bolted up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like said above, it is threaded into the booster, when the MC is unbolted from the booster you will see it in there. It is right in the middle.

·
Registered
442 Posts
OK. I never had mine off so I wasnt sure. Thanks for the info.

1) So do you grind the head down or off?

2) Do you know if this will fit a 98 TJ?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to do this soon and dont want to have it all apart and have to keep buying parts, or take it apart to find out it doesnt fit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
grind the head of the bolt until it fits into the hole in the MC. You will be able to thread it in by hand, so don't worry about it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just wondering what your pedal pressure feels like now. I had a larger master cylinder put in my 00, but now the pedal is stiff..Feels like I can only push the pedal in 1/2 inch to 1 inch before it maxes on pressure. Is this common.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I am running hybrid 9" f/r with 1/2 ton chevy calipers in front and cadillac calipers in the rear. All I did is modify the proportioning valve, Pulled the o-ring out and the spring and my Jeep stops great w/ 42's no m/c upgrade at all. Try this! On the proportioning valve there is a big nut on the front of the valve, loosen (note there is a spring inside) take the spring out and on the rod that the spring was connected to pull the black o-ring off and this will flow more fluid. Bleed your brakes and try this before you do anything to the m/c!

·
Registered
442 Posts
sommertime said:
I am running hybrid 9" f/r with 1/2 ton chevy calipers in front and cadillac calipers in the rear. All I did is modify the proportioning valve, Pulled the o-ring out and the spring and my Jeep stops great w/ 42's no m/c upgrade at all. Try this! On the proportioning valve there is a big nut on the front of the valve, loosen (note there is a spring inside) take the spring out and on the rod that the spring was connected to pull the black o-ring off and this will flow more fluid. Bleed your brakes and try this before you do anything to the m/c!
Here is a write up on this. LINK

Did you leave the spring and o ring out, or just the o ring?

·
Registered
556 Posts
x2 on both the spring and oring or just the oring.

8.8 rear here, pulled the oring last weekend and bled the bejesus out of it. pedal pressure is still soft, noticably more grab when hitting brakes though. offroad testing this weekend.

·
Registered
99 Posts
FWI all mid to late '90s Dodge Rams use the same master cylinder 1500, 2500, 3500 doesn't matter

1 - 20 of 88 Posts