Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched through the threads and found some good information but was looking for some direct feed back to my sitch. Here is the lowdown.

I found this thread an a fella on there said something about the angle needing to be between 26-30 degrees. My angle is 19 degrees currently measured from the flat spot on the flange on the rear of the housing.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58326&highlight=tj+rear+pinion+angle

I have the cheap SYE kit from RE and CV Drive shaft. My pinion angle is at 19 degrees now and I am getting vibs. It's a very long story about how it go to be that way. I wheeled my suspension for probably about 2 years with no issues. Then the winter salt started to take it's toll on the spherical bearings in the CA's. One day I was toeing some heavy weight (another very long story) and my ujoint went in the drive shaft. I had the drive shaft rebuilt and rebalanced and all of the sudden I have vibs. So I went through loops and loops with the drive shaft I had it rebuilt and checked twice. My father had just passed away and I was moving my mom ... that is why I was towing heavy stuff around. After my dad passed I inherited some money and all of stuff to do. So I had a shop put 4.56 gears and a super 35 kit in for me. While they were in there I told them I think my pinion angle needs adjusting and they adjusted it for me (they messed it up). Vibs never went away. Ok that is the long story.

Now this is what I have done this year. I took the control arms out and found that the Spherical joints were messed up. They were seized and rusted beyond belief. PS I think this is where the vibs where coming from the whole time but I just didn't know it. So I rebuilt the whole suspension and have it all tight now. This brings me to today where I still have vibs. When I installed the lift I just adjusted my control arms to the length that they recommended and everything worked out well. So needless to say I never have known what the correct pinion angle should be.

Wheeeewwww .....

Can someone just put me at ease and give me some advise as to what my pinion angle should be?

I did a frame of on my first jeep (a 79 CJ7) and never had to mess with the pinion angle on that either (I threw this in so you all don't think the TJ is my first venture in to the world of jeeps). I have had allot of experience with bolting things on and building things up. Not much fab ... I just got a MIG so that will change now. And I just got a garage so no more layin in the driveway and running in and out of the house.

Well I'm off to take off the upper control arms and see if I can adjust them out a bit.

Thanks

Newbies rock the house ... flame on brothers!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

I'm back from laying under the jeep and measuring the pinion angle and the drive shaft angle. The pinion is about 18 and the driveshaft is about 19. So based on what I have been reading this is within the acceptable limits. Any ideas? Should I make the pinion angle 17 to leave room for pinion to climb durning acceloration. :confused:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Its going to depend on the amount of lift you have. If you are having vibes, you should prolly reset it closer around 17* or make necessary adjustments.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Don't worry what the angles themselves are, the specific angles are unimportant for a CV driveshaft.

All you need to do is get the rear pinion shaft pointing directly in line with the driveshaft, which also means the rear pinion shaft is pointing directly up the driveshaft towards where the driveshaft connects to the t-case output shaft.

Ideally, the rear pinion angle will be one degree less than that of the driveshaft to allow for the TJ's minor amount of axle wrap. So whatever you do, just get the rear pinion shaft pointed straight up and in line with the CV driveshaft.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my pinion is about 1 degree lower than my drive shaft. It seems like it is set up correctly. So I am going to take out the drive shaft and see if my ujoints are beat. Maybe I just have to service the drive shaft. If that doesn't fix it then I will adjust the pinion angle to be 1 more degree lower than it currently is.

Or maybe I should just strap the whole setup and go SOA in the rear :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Damn Smits, I cant get any free time to work on my jeep, sounds like you already have the whole week end tied up into it. let me know about the drive shaft, or bring it buy my shop, Ill do the U-joints for free…

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanna get this taken care of so I can rebuild the front control arms and fab up a new steering setup. I wanna put my winch back on and get ready for the season. There is a freakin pile of parts sitting in my garage just waiting to get put on the jeep. And my wife wants some fog lights put on (she calls em flood lights :))

·
Registered
169 Posts
Let me know if you ever need a hand with anything, I am more then happy to help you out were ever you need it. I have a pile of parts next to my jeep too, thank god I don’t have a wife along with it, or I would probably be sleeping in. Drop me a line if you need anything or any help.
-Dave-

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Okay- its one of threee things from info i have to work with - a bad c/v socket-(most provable) - contact somewhere in the system from the engine etc. (not real provable) - a real bad u joint with no needles left- possible- please keep us posted- any noise with your vibs? and does your mirror get so fuzzy you cannot see out of it? Jesse

·
Registered
600 Posts
rebalance and ck the slip yokes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts