Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havn't been seeing a lot of build threads recently so i figured i'd post up a little about what i'm doing, i don't typically consider my fab work up to par with a lot of you on here so take it easy on my but any constructive criticism is appreciated. I picked up a set of 2.5ton rockwells, I'm keeping the motor, tranny and transfer case stock for now unfortunately, i wish i could change it but i just graduated highschool going into college so my budget is very limited. I'm almost done linking up the front end, building it with 2x2x.25 box tube and RE style flex joints and running a single upper off of the passenger side lower kinda like the RE longarm kit but with just one upper. The rear will be a 1 link setup built with 2x4x.25 box tube with a evolution machine 1.25 chomoly heim joint. It's looking like i'll be at around 120 inches of wheelbase, and with the 41 inch michelin XLs i picked up today that should put the tires out beyond the frame rails front and rear for zero approach and departure angles, yes i know the tires suck but like i said i'm on a budget and these were cheap, i'll change to 44 boggers/TSLs or 47LTBs later when i win the lottery.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While i was at it and waiting on parts i decided my roll cage was not adeqate and that i should scrap my ghetto seat brakets that held my seats to the stock sliders. Yes the cage is poop pipe, cant afford DOM nor can i afford the bender for it, but pipe and a HF Pipe bender was cheap. Added a harness bar, dash bar and tied the seats to the cage in addition to what i had already done a while back, i think this stiffened things up a lot, yea i know, there is no triangulation but i'll deal with that later along with frame tie ins.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i knew how to crop a picture or even work a digital camera correctly i would have gotten rid of that, but i'm too technology retarded.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Made a little progress

i forgot to get a good picture of it but you can kinda see the orbital valve mounted to the back of the stock shock tower. I also go the coils mounted since i took the pictures, and yes i know the short ass trackbar sucks but it'll have to work for now.

one question, does anyone know what size threads the studs are that hold the upper kingpin cap on?

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
looks real good

since you post more pics here than on smjc, ill subscribe to this one too

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i burnt up my chopsaw so i couldn't build my rearend tonight like i wanted. I got some other shit done tonight that needed to be done, made my front driveshaft, finished the front pinion brake and mounted the rear also. I'll go get a new chopsaw tomorrow and mount the rearend and i'm also gonna pick up a hydro cylinder and get the steering finished up. Here's some pictures...

And the best, my barbershop pole paint job on my driveshaft... i was bored

And i still need to know what size threads are in the top of the knuckles, anyone?

·
HOORAY BEER
1,356 Posts
Looks like you have some potential there. I suggest you clean up your metal a bit more. Grinding is fun and chicks dig it.
I am assuming you are not done with that front spring mount?

On a side note, the mess in your shop would drive me nuts. Get the old lady to pick up some :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Interesting build.....

The pictures are more fun to look at then others. I could browse them for hours looking for random shit...

Are you done with that spring pad?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no i'm gonna add a brace on the backside of the spring pad to strengthen it up a little. Yea i know in the first pictures the garage is a wreck, i cleaned up yesterday before i got started working cause all the junk was starting to piss me off. Also i do usually clean the paint off the are i'm about to weld with a wire wheel on my angle grinder, all the brown on the control arms and frame is primer not rust just to clear that up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Interesting build.....

The pictures are more fun to look at then others. I could browse them for hours looking for random shit...

Are you done with that spring pad?
Just curious is this project done? I see its been a few years...I was having a blast reading and looking at the pictures. I love the OSHA approved foot wear! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Bringing this thing back from the DEAD. My brother bought this and plans on cleaning it up and redoing a few things. All and in all this was a solid jeep that MudTJ did a great job on. Were taking it to SMORR this weekend and will get pictures and videos to update this thread.

·
Ford Bigot
4,101 Posts
I hope you fix that awful wristed radius arm set up and convert it to either full radius arms, or 3 link.

Agreed. I'd go to town on that hill-billie suspension with a plasma cutter and a sledge hammer. Maybe put some wheel brakes on it? Sorry not a fan of the pinion brake but to each his own.

Good ideas to begin with (even though this thread is 5 years old), but the execution of the single radius arm, the pipe cage, angle iron coil spring mounts and 1 link all bring the suck.

Hopefully as a new owner you will unfawk this suspension.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts