Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished this swap and it was a PITA, seems like the editors omitted a few things in the write. All in all it well and the old adage stands correct, MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE!!!!! The TJ cage was a little more involved than what it seemed like in the article, the alignment is very difficult to achieve, no matter how much I zoomed in on the pics I could not tell if the TJ cage opened all the way to acomodate the width of the YJ and it doesn't you have to leave a little space between the mounting base and the outermost side of the tub and fill it with a spacer. It works so much better than the YJ top that it makes all the swearing and the creation of a new olympic sport, tool launching worth i.. Heres a few pix hope you enjoy..
Before you ask, Yes it's a 91 renegade on an 03 rubicon frame and 8" skyjacker doubleflex kit and the motor is a 350 TPI backed with a 700r4 with a shift kit and corvette servo, 3" exhaust from headers back and passed emission standards here in Canada. Leather seats from an 05 jimmy mated to YJ risers, Grand Cherokee brake Booster, TJ hood latches, tailgate hinges, and now TJ soft top, I called this project YTJ Please don't mind the date I took these on Monday

Dave

·
Registered
394 Posts
Very nice! I have been planning on doing this when I build a cage for my CJ. Any chance we could get some pics of the holes you cut in the windshield frame to accommodate the latches for the soft top?

Also did you use the YJ soft top hardware that bolts around the top of the tub, which creates the lip for the soft top to tuck under? I've been thinking about pulling the lip off a TJ tub and spot welding it to my CJ so I wouldn't have to pull it off to switch between hard and soft top.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Very nice! I have been planning on doing this when I build a cage for my CJ. Any chance we could get some pics of the holes you cut in the windshield frame to accommodate the latches for the soft top?

Also did you use the YJ soft top hardware that bolts around the top of the tub, which creates the lip for the soft top to tuck under? I've been thinking about pulling the lip off a TJ tub and spot welding it to my CJ so I wouldn't have to pull it off to switch between hard and soft top.

Looks like that yj hardware is there. I too am interested in this. Do you have any more pics/writeup on the complete install?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post pics and write up as soon as I finish it, There is no YJ hardware at all, I used the TJ windshield seal and cut the corners of the windshield to accomodate the round corner of the top. The holes in the windshield frame are square about 1.5" x 3/4" rectangle, I reinforced the holes with a piece of checker plate screwed to the frame. There is no lip on the TJ top that hooks into the header, just the latches provide enough force to seal against the TJ seal. I used my YJ doors and they are about 1" shorter than the TJ doors so they dont seal 100% until I change the doors to TJ ones.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I will post pics and write up as soon as I finish it, There is no YJ hardware at all, I used the TJ windshield seal and cut the corners of the windshield to accomodate the round corner of the top. The holes in the windshield frame are square about 1.5" x 3/4" rectangle, I reinforced the holes with a piece of checker plate screwed to the frame. There is no lip on the TJ top that hooks into the header, just the latches provide enough force to seal against the TJ seal. I used my YJ doors and they are about 1" shorter than the TJ doors so they dont seal 100% until I change the doors to TJ ones.
Cool, but what did you do about the hardware that bolts to the top of the tub and goes from the doors back to the tailgate. That's the hardware I was referring to. I'd like to see some pics of how you got the seal on top of the windshield frame to work.

Why not make something to fill the gap so your existing doors seal up? TJ full doors are pricey (~$1000), plus you would have to paint them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the YJ body pieces because the TJ has it moulded in to the lip of the tub, The only thing you have to do is notch out the front closest to the door in order to fit the TJ door surrounds

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I also have a Tj top on my Yj. The doors are thes same height. Also you I was able to pick up the TJ tub belt rails (pieces that the TJ uses to hold top to tub) for $38.00 from the dealer. Which works a lot better then messing around with the yj belt rails.

I do not have a gap above my doors, I run both full and half doors at different times. The gap that you most likely comes from the height difference in the surround sitting on thicker Yj belt rails and the positing of the windshield to roll bar extension.

I would get the Tj belt rail and then work out the roll bars form there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx for the info man I will order the belt rails from the dealer 2morrow. Thats awesome to know that someone else has tried something different and made it work. How did you find the swap?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
It was in a JP magazine a while ago.

I always wondered why use the stock tj cage instead of just putting the mounting tabs onto the yj cage? is there something more I'm missing?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The YJ spreader bars are to far apart, the won't allow the door surround to sit in the right position and the top won't close and neither will the door

·
Registered
394 Posts
I also have a Tj top on my Yj. The doors are thes same height. Also you I was able to pick up the TJ tub belt rails (pieces that the TJ uses to hold top to tub) for $38.00 from the dealer. Which works a lot better then messing around with the yj belt rails.
Nice, I tried to drill out the spot welds on tub at the junkyard to get these off and it was a pain. I didn't manage to get them and I think the yard would have charged me at least $25, so $38 is very resonable. Did you spot weld the rails to your tub or did you just bolt them on?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used the YJ belt rails with a little modification to them The only thing it needed was that I had to shim them off the body to tuck the TJ top under it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm most of the way done doing this to my unlimited length YJ. for the belt rails i went to the dealership and bought the tj ones. Although they are welded to the tub on a TJ, they are available seperatley so body shops can make repairs etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am 90% done with this swap... I just need to know how you moved the windshield spreader bar mounts in that half inch or so they need to be.... did you just drill a new hole and bolt/screw it in place? Did you weld it there?

thanks!
Sean

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a really old thread, but there aren't a whole lot of threads about this swap, so I figured I would try... I am doing this swap also, and I was wondering if you had any pics of the holes that you cut and any details on the modification to the window frame? Also wondering if you can still run a hard top after the modified window frame? And last, what did you use between the window frame and top, any sort of gasket or factory TJ moulding>

·
Registered
848 Posts
I know this is a really old thread, but there aren't a whole lot of threads about this swap, so I figured I would try... I am doing this swap also, and I was wondering if you had any pics of the holes that you cut and any details on the modification to the window frame? Also wondering if you can still run a hard top after the modified window frame? And last, what did you use between the window frame and top, any sort of gasket or factory TJ moulding>
Agreed.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts