Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slow steering problem. Pretty sure i've searched and read every post about this. I have a psc 1.75" ram, tapped astro box, inline cooler and filter. So from what i've read it seems TJ guys just screw the fitting down the rest of the way as there was no shims from the factory, they just loctited it. This increases pressure? The screw the rest of the way down seems to have helped but from my understanding the help was related to a 1.5" ram. Pressure or flow? Have you TJ guys drilled out the main fitting somewhere between 1/8 to 5/32 for more flow. The plan was go for a PSC pump but wouldn't mind giving this a go first, of course. Someone also told me the saginaw box is the culprit because it doesn't open the valves till full crank unlike a PSC box??? (when you hook hoses to the ram and turn the wheel it doesn't move the ram until it's closer to full crank where as psc travels through the full cycle, noticeable while ram is disconnected from axle/tierod of course).

Need a little schooling and guidance. Thanks guys. :beer:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Common fix is to drill out the valve to 5/32. This will increase flow.

·
Here's Johnny!
1,582 Posts
The ram is to much for that pump. I dont even think drilling out the fitting is going to help speed that thing up. I'd drop to a 1.5" ram or swap out the pump.

You can also start reading http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973826 if you want to try and mod your current pump further. I'd still be inclined to look at swapping in a P pump or something else from PSC or the like that has more flow.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yup. Larger the ram the slower it will be. A 1 1/2" ram would be plenty big enough for hyd asist anyway.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, just read that whole thread.........and now i have a headache. lol. From what i read it almost seems that after market isn't really much different. The one pic shows minor port changes on the aftermarket with the main difference being the after market had the drilled 5/32 hole. Hmmm. I guess i can mod it and give it a try. Now unlike the CJ and maybe YJ? there is that fitting on the TJ that is not screwed all the way down. Would i screw down and drill or? I blew my stock pump and swapped a ZJ one in so who knows. Looks like i had the better 2 diamond casting originally being a 97 4.0 so who knows now. This sh!t is way over my head and i'm not real keen on swapping the 1.75 to 1.5 seeing as i just got it last year and i'm a cheap fawker. I'd probably just deal with the slower setup. lol

So I guess the my question is. What's the best bet to try even if it's just a marginal difference? Screw down? Drill? Drill and screw down?

Cheers

·
Here's Johnny!
1,582 Posts
Screw the fitting down and drill it out. Remove any shims from the fitting if there happen to be some. As far as I know the ZJ should be the same pump.

I'd try to find someone that wants to swap rams if possible. I've got a PSC modded TC pump, 1.5" ram and can out steer it if I want. Although it has gotten better with each little change I make.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts