Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jeep has some steering wobble around 45mph. I've had it aligned twice but still does it and I'm not really sure what else it could be. It's a 4.5" RE LA lift and 35" BFG MT's. The jam nut for the front track bar loosens itself after a day of driving, I think this is from the wobble and possibly just makes it worse as it continues to loosen.

My only guesses as to what it could be are that the axles are an inch or 2 too far forward so I've got to redrill the Control arm mounts on the frame and move them back. The other thing I've noticed is that the factory bolt holding on the trac bar to the axle is a little smaller than the RE trac bar hole, I believe this causes the 'clunk' in the front end occasionally.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tires are balanced, High Angle rear driveshaft, stock front driveshaft...ther is a little bit of an angle at the joint from the front shaft to the diff, and the front is extended pretty good since the axle is pushed forward a little bit.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Loose trackbar bolts will cause the same wobble you are describing. If the bolt is the wrong size for the track bar that's most likely your problem.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'll replace that...when I take it off though, will it throw the alignment out of wack? When I took the track bar off before to get it bent to clear the diff we got it extended back out to the same length but the steering wheel was off to the side upon putting it back on.

·
Registered
390 Posts
As stated above, put the proper size bolt in the axle end of the track bar...just drill out the axle mount to the same diameter of the bolt needed.

Also, a steering wheel wobble at a particular speed, say 45 mph, is usually indicative of a tire balance issue. If you say they are balanced, try swapping front and rear tires if the track bar bolt does not solve the issue.

On the steering wheel not being centered, just adjust your drag link to make things straight.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fix the bolt issue then dbl check the bushing and heim/joint on the frame end.

Also check your steering stabilizer, I have had one get punctured on the trail and act more like a spring then a stabilizer. I couldnt break 35 mph with it on, took it off and drove 2 hrs home at 60 no problem.

Some say the stabilizer is simply a bandaid for the issue, I say it is neccesary to keep the steering from having a seizure whenever it decides its time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if the wobble you are talking about is the infamous death wobble, does it feel like the front tires are hopping side to side with each other? If so you need to get a set of adjustable cam bolts and put some more caster in. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
amber said:
If so you need to get a set of adjustable cam bolts and put some more caster in.
He's running RE long arms as stated in his original post which are adjustable. No cam bolts required....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts